Please Read House Rules (please read)

bobs409

Administrator
In view of the way things have been going on the forum lately, some "house rules" have been enacted and will be enforced for the good of the forum. These are now in the forum FAQ section. Below is a copy of those rules.

Member Behavior

The 348-409.com Info Exchange forum is here to help others and everyone that participates on the 348-409.com Info Exchange forum deserves to be treated respectfully. In order to keep this forum a fun, friendly and helpful place, we do have a few house rules that must be followed:

1) Provoking an argument or deliberate harrassment of another member will not be tolerated. This is our main house rule and it will be strictly enforced. Those that break this rule will have their posting priveleges revoked for 2 weeks for the first offense, 1 month for the second and a third offense will result in a permanent ban of that member with no possibility of returning. 3 strikes and your out, no exceptions!

2) Using foul language. Although we have a cuss filter here, anyone that continually attempts to use foul language will be banned for 2 weeks for the first offense, 1 month for the second and a third offense will result in a permanent ban of that member. This is a G rated site, please keep bad language off our forum.

3) Posting offensive pictures or nudity. Please keep these type of pictures off of our forum. Again, our site is G rated so please think before posting.

Vendor Bashing

Vendor bashing is not something we like to see here. We all have had bad experiences with a business or two at some point. Some make good for their mistakes, some don't but please do not continually bash a vendor on our forum.

It is acceptable to speak of your experience (if asked) for the benefit of others as long as it doesn't go too far.

Posts that have strong or repeated vendor bashing may be subject to editing or removal by the administration.

*Note that some of the vendors we commonly deal with in our hobby are visitors and/or financial contributors of 348-409.com and deserve the same courteous treatment that everyone else gets.

Buy/Sell forums

Our Buy/Sell forums are open to all active members of the 348-409.com Info Exchange forum. Commercial ads are not allowed and if discovered, they will be removed with or without notice or warning.

Those that sign up to our forum for the sole purpose of selling or posting ads in our Buy/Sell forums may have their membership revoked. If you have a business and think our members would be interested in your product(s), contact the administration about a possible link exchange or to be added to our vendor section in the FAQ.

Please note that these rules are here to help make everyones visit a pleasant one so please follow them. We're all in this crazy hobby together and should stick together. :)

Bob

JokersBel

Banned
Bob, we need a "good sellers," "bad sellers," "good buyers," and "bad buyers," sections. It'd be a realm to help relay our "experiences" on to other trustworthy members here. It works in other forums and is something to think about. :)

Jim

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
JokersBel said:
Bob, we need a "good sellers," "bad sellers," "good buyers," and "bad buyers," sections. It'd be a realm to help relay our "experiences" on to other trustworthy members here. It works in other forums and is something to think about. :)

Jim

How about a "Rambler" section? Dig dang dong it !!,,,

Say Bob,,, How come the pictures don`t show in the older post? is there an experation date?,,,,,

PS,,, I`ll try and behave,,,,, :rolleyes:

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Behave???????????????

dq409 said:

Say Bob,,, How come the pictures don`t show in the older post? is there an experation date?,,,,,

GOOD LUCK :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll :roll

California L33

I think the best way for vendors to avoid being "bashed" is to provide good products and customer service. If someone lies about their experiences and it costs the vendor business or loss of reputation, the person who put those lies is a public forum is subject to the laws of libel.
Personally I'd like to know which vendors are stand up guys, which ones are out and out crooks, and most importantly, which ones "shade the truth," because they're the most difficult ones weed out- like the guy on eBay right now selling a 409 motor. He lists the head number, and if you look it up (or really know your 409 heads) you find out it's a truck motor, yet nowhere in his listing does he say it's a truck motor. He says it was rebuilt for his '61 or '62 Bel Air, and the pictures show it next to the car, implying that's where it came from. So he hasn't actually lied, but you know he thought about what he was doing. It took more time to look up and type the head number in the listing than to have typed, "truck motor, small valves, 7.5:1 compression."
I'm all for keeping it civil, and nobody like a whiner, but if valid criticism is removed the forum will loose credibility.

bobs409

Administrator
dq409 said:

Pictures should still be there if they were uploaded. (attached) If you can give me a link to any threads that have missing pics I'll see if I can figure it out.

bobs409

Administrator
JokersBel: I wouldn't want to do that because some of our contributors and members are also vendors here. I know from experience that sooner or later, someone is going to recieve the wrong part or something will go wrong with an order and things could get ugly fast. (alot of times, someone will just "vent" on the board rather than inform the vendor who will in most cases, correct the problem)

California: Basically the same answer as above. It's ok to mention a problem if someone asks as long as it doesn't turn ugly. I'm just trying to stop anyone from starting an all out attack on a vendor or repeated attacks that may be part of our group. (some are lurkers/contributors) Example: Recently some things were said about Chevy Rumble and Doug Marion. Alot may not know it but Doug is a member here, he just hasn't posted yet. How do you think he felt when he read that post? I'd like to keep this type of stuff off the forum.

I need to try and keep everyone happy and this is one way to help do that.

Of course, anyone is free to use the private messages or e-mail to voice whatever opinion you would like to another.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Offending remarks.

Bob, I agree. This is an open apology. I started the thread about Chevy Rumble not knowing that Doug Marion was the author. I know that Doug would have never put down the W engine. The post was directed toward the unknowing or uniformed that make comments about the W engine at car shows. Most of the people who own a W powered car know the real story. It was not intended as a put down of Doug or Chevy Rumble. I regret having posted the thread. My sincere apology to Doug Marion and Chevy Rumble. The thread has been deleted.

Doug I am sorry for my misdirected comments!
I remain, a Doug Marion fan and Chevy Rumble Reader.

Reactions: FAZ

bobs409

Administrator
Ray, I knew you didn't really mean any harm and that's why I didn't get involved. You've been with our group since the Yahoo days and have been one of our star pupils. :D

Sorry to use that thread as an example but it's the first thing that came to mind.

I do hope everyone understands why I have the rules in place. It's only to help keep the forum running smooth and to try and treat all equally.

Believe me, I'm not on a power trip or anything. :D I'd like nothing more than to never have to enforce any of the rules. If I ever have to ban someone, it's gonna hurt me more than them I think. :cry Until the recent heated discussions, we had no need to even have rules posted.

I'm all for sharing vendor experiences to help others but please use the private messages or e-mail for that especially for negative comments.

Reactions: FAZ

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
dq409 said:

Yaa, right , and the check is in the mail. :roll :roll :roll

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
bobs409 said:
Pictures should still be there if they were uploaded. (attached) If you can give me a link to any threads that have missing pics I'll see if I can figure it out.

Bob, I have looked at a lot of old posts hoping to copy the pictures that I posted.

I lost most or all of my pictures of my engine and car build up when my compuker crashed but all the threads i visited didn`t have the photos anymore.

I can look some of them up later when I have time again.

Bob, You do a great job of moderating this site !

There have been times when we (me) get out of line and you let us try and work it out on our own. Sometimes letting it go on more then it should.
But,,, I think you do this to try and be fair to us to try and work it out between our selves as adults. opps,,,did I just refer to us as adults?

Sometimes we just get carried away with our stance.

I think I have learned a lot about controlling my rants and confrontations from my past fights and really try to keep it under control.
Once I see it has gone its course or is getting way outa line I try to back off.
I can`t say I don`t get overboard sometimes but I am way better then i was a while back.

It also was a big help to get to know these guys at the convention.
You get to view them as people and friends now rather then just typed words !!
This even goes for the ones I`ve never met. A new pespective, if you will.

One more thing.,,,,,

It is nice that the suporting members here are not or don`t have an elete group seperated from the non-suporting members !!:D

I don`t thing that is right and delutes the site as has happened on other forums.

Thanks Bob,,,dq

1) I don't see anything wrong with L33's post, when someone posts something for sale somewhere and it's obvious or not so obvious a misrepresentation why not alert us (as nice as possible)?. Personally I don't like "protecting" vendors or sellers who aren't exactly on the up and up. Who are your serving, vendors, sellers or us?.

2) I've been crapped on and disagreed with, don't mind the disagreements, sometimes I actually LEARN things!. But those who just like to crap on me should be dealt with, I don't like it when it gets personal, and I DEFINATELY have been guilty of the same but 90% of the time in retaliation. I must control myself.

3) I don't like posts being deleted and not being told their deleted, if you delete a post from NAYONE you should have the courtsey to Email that person and tell them why.

4) Just because a magazine editor/magazine is registered here shouldn't mean their immune to critisizm, and I AM NOT refering to any single one, I have a "disagreeement" going on with a muscle car magaine going on right now. I drives me CRAZY when a magazine prints something as FACT when it's either wrong or incomplete. When you email them and explain the correction the just blow it off, not even the courtesy of a reply. Some magazines are full of themselves. There should be a way to post your personal opinions/corrections (with explanations!) and not be cut out.

5) There are only a few registered members here who know what their talking about IN MY OPINION!, Aubrey (CDN), Richard (MKII), Walkerheaders, Hitman, and maybe one or two others that don't come to me. They don't just answer or comment they EXPLAIN that explanation and answer. Some people sometimes don't agree with them, that's life, but they are a BIG help to MANY members who need answers, accurate and correct answers, and they're a BIG help (All mentioned have helped me immensely, I really appreciate that help).

All that said, I'll do my best to adhere to your rules, but I disagree with a couple as noted.

Dan Hunt

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Some magazines are full of themselves???
Are there no mirrors in your house?
You are the only person on the site that told me he knew more than me, way more.Most of the others no more than I do also but the don't gloat about how smart they are.
I guess that shouldn't bother me because you have told most of the other members your much smarter than then also.
Dan

bobs409

Administrator
Well Fran, looks like I'm learning a few things myself. It seems you have little respect for our site by what I've read.

The few rules I have put into place have been done for a reason and were thought out by yours truly. It's not really out for discussion, this is an announcement of our rules. Those that can't handle the rules can leave anytime.

The rules are here to help the site, it's members and myself. They will help keep the site running smoothly. They will help the members by giving them some feeling of protection from any jerk that wants to publically attack them. The rules will also give each member a nice place to hang out. As for myself, I don't like when I have to spend 3 days trying to smooth out the bumps because someone said something out of line. It's due to the latest troubles that the rules were put into effect. With the rules out in plain view, it will be real easy to deal with this in the future.

When I feel a post is "out of line" or breaking the rules, it will be edited or deleted with or without notice. If that offends anyone, sorry but if you follow the rules and use common sense, you'll never have to worry about it happening to you. Old posts that offer no useable searchable value for later on are also deleted. Birthday posts, "hey, I lost your e-mail" posts, old classified ads, old test posts, etc. Im the administrator, it's my job to do these things.

As for your replies; (1) Protecting vendors? It's more like protecting every member. There are no favoritisms from me, everyone gets the same treatment and the same rights. A vendor that happens to be a member here whether they have donated, not donated, participate or lurk, has the same rights as you or anyone else. The reason I don't want negative comments going on is things get out of hand, get ugly and then I have to spend 4 days trying to straighten the mess out. If somone wants to know how "Joe Schmoe's parts house" products are, they can simply ask on the forum and request to recieve private messages or e-mails on it. If that's not good enough, they shouldn't ask then I guess... (2) you've been crapped on because in 99% of the time, you've asked for it. You like to argue and you bring that on yourself. (3) don't like it, then leave (4) I don't care to get into what magazine is good or bad or what vendor is good or bad. That's just a pissing match that we can do without. With the vendor bashing policy, it covers that whole ugly package. Without that in place, we could have arguments all over and while you may like that sort of thing, I do not. (5) Not sure what this has to do with anything??? Sure there are members here that are way more knowledgable than others, we all value their input. Some of who you mentioned have been with us since about 1998 which is much longer than you Fran. Would you like everyone else to not post anymore? I personally like it when everyone joins in, that's the purpose of a forum. We all make mistakes, I have many times offered something only to be corrected. If I didn't say anything, I would never have learned from my mistakes. If members don't feel they are wanted here or that they can have a say, believe me, they will go elsewhere. We lose our members, we might as well close down because without them, this site is would greatly suffer.

When you start a website Fran, you can have whatever rules or no rules at all if you want to but here, these few rules apply. Check the rules on some other sites, then come back here and complain about our 3.

Now, that was 30 minutes of my time better spent elsewhere :rolleyes:

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
suspend me, Please !

Fran, I don't know how you get your head in the door at night . What a jerk. Why don't you sell off some of that ego and send yourself to charm school. Better yet, form your own site with members that are in your class. I'm thinking you might be lonely there since there are only five people that you would let join. This is the only sight has any interest is what you might have to say. Remember. it's the little people that make this site what it is or the five of you will be sitting around telling each other how much you know.
I'm sorry Bob but this pompous *** has pushed my buttons before and I have remained silent.. I can't anymore.
The two week suspension is a welcomed holiday from this mans condesension !

M

MK IISS

Fran: Sorry, but I can't support most of your post. As for myself, my knowledge is miniscule compared to just about everyone on this forum. I know a little historical stuff but that's about it. Come to think of it, I can't even take credit for much of my historical stuff. I just have some real good books and did have the advantage of working with my Uncle (Dealer).

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
I am embarrassed

I have to say that I am very embarassed that I was involved in last weeks scuffle.
I am at a total loss of words, I have no Idea how to say what I want here while remaining tactful. I disagree with anyone here turning any dissagreement here into a personal attack on another member.
Last week I was disgusted at one members behavior, and I stepped in where I should not have, and then the other member whom I defended acted equally as horrible, and jumped right into the whole spirit of the playground fight and name calling.
Fran I defended the right to be a member here and participate without being bullied or attacked. You are way out of line in my opinion to think that you are such an incredibly valuable or important person around here. I think that many of the members and enthusiasts here even with less experience or knowledge can put their heads together and come up with the right answers. (yes even without you).
My apollogies to all members, for my participation in last weeks argument.

Rockfish39

Supporting Member 1
Did I miss something???? :scratch: As usual, Im a day late and a dollar short.
Reading this thread brings to mind a quote from Henry Ford Sr.

" Listen to the common man, for he too has his own story"

C'mon.... Let's all be friends now!

:cool:

JokersBel

Banned
I read your post, Fran, and felt insulted as well. What is your requirement for inclusion as being a valuable member here? Age? Race-status? What is it? No offense, but it was a condescending comment.

Although I disagree about that comment, yes, it was JUST a comment, I agree with Fran about not "protecting vendors/sellers." I learned about 2 vendors here the hard way, after-the-fact, that others had bad experiences. Why protect those that are out to screw people? I say make it known if there are MULTIPLE bad experiences.

One last thing, I've said it before to Bob, that I appreciate your work here, and I do, but you, Bob have personally asked me in the past to keep disagreements private, and by keeping YOUR comments about EVERYONES behavior here, is a violation of your own rules. I learned a lot about you too by that, just like you learned something about Fran, (you made a "personal" feeling about him and made it public with your comments here.) Why do WE have to conform to the rules that you break?

Jim

bobs409

Administrator
Because I'm setting the rules straight Jim. Tell me, what should I have done? If everyone would just get over themselves already an act like adults and follow the damn rules already, I wouldn't need to reply this way. Geez!!! :rolleyes:

As for the vendors, like I said before, if someone wants to find out about a seller, they may ask on the board but they should request the answers by private messaging or e-mail. That should keep everyone happy. (I hope anyway)

Sometimes those that enforce the rules have to break a few to get the job done. It's unlawful to speed but the cop that has to enforce the rules is allowed to get into a high speed pursuit the catch the criminal, right? Have I started a personal attack on Fran? No. My reply is in defense of the new rules, nothing personal about it so really don't feel that I broke any of my own rules.