How bout them 59's

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
:clap:clap:clap:clap.... 59 and 60 are really cool ,,,,,I love the dash in those cars.......great pictures, and I look forward into seeing them all at the Big Convention

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Amazing how things change. 25 years ago you couldn't give a 58-59-60 away. They soon became the most expensive classic Chevys.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I had a 59 4 door post Biscayne for a couple of years, 6 cyl powerglide, 0-60 mph in an eternity.

Still could scare the 100mph mark on the speedo, one thing that was noticeable at speed, at around 80 mph you could feel a discernable lift of the rear of the car, maybe only an inch but you could feel it. Sold it and bought a 30 x 20 ft shed.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
one thing that was noticeable at speed, at around 80 mph you could feel a discernable lift of the rear of the car, maybe only an inch but you could feel it. Sold it and bought a 30 x 20 ft shed.

I remember when I was young, a lot of people said these cars lifted at highway speeds.
When I look at the long trunk and wings I think if anything it should add down force, not add lift. :dunno
I think Junior Johnson was driving a 59 when he won the Daytona 500. You'd think if lift was a problem it would have showed up at the kind of speeds they ran at Daytona.

I notice that all the really fast drag cars add a spoiler that looks a lot like the trunk of a 59 Chevy.

zz.jpg

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think that was proven to be a myth. Any old full size car is going to feel a little scary at 80-100 mph!!! :scared :yikes

Yeah, in a recent thread about steering alignment there was some discussion about the vague feel of the steering.
At high speeds, it tended to make the cars feel like they were floating down the highway. :eek1

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I think that was proven to be a myth. Any old full size car is going to feel a little scary at 80-100 mph!!! :scared :yikes
Disagree bob, my 64 ss 409 would go 142 mph, {clocked by highway patrol} straight down the highway on bias tire's even!!! :D:D:D M y buddy's 59 was the rear floating ,like it was trying to pick up the rear at high speed,and side to side!!!!

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Disagree bob, my 64 ss 409 would go 142 mph, {clocked by highway patrol} straight down the highway on bias tire's even!!! :D:D:D M y buddy's 59 was the rear floating ,like it was trying to pick up the rear at high speed,and side to side!!!!

I didn't know cops had km/hr speedos back then:dunno

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Speed and air movement does funny things, my first 61 four door post car, at about 100 mph the top of the RHS (my drivers door) use to move out about a 1/4 of an inch, no loose hinges or the like, my friends 64 Bel Air the front of the car lifts at around that same mph.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
around here they call them mph , and yes 142 mph , buryed the needle, the speeding ticket also confirmed that!!!!!:taunt:tauntphoto (2).JPG

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If a 59 is lowered in back then the rear should lift with speed......if it is raked , down in front, it shouldn't lift much unless the front comes up.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Ritchies59ElCaminoKustomcopy_zps492d1daa.jpg