How do you install windshield moldings?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I lost the upper piece of windshield trim this weekend on the freeway apparantly and tomorrow I get a new replacement piece. How does this attach exactly? Does it just snap into place? Should I use some expoxy also on the backside to help hold it in place or anything?

Thanks

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
Thats a good question Yellow. I have a 63 2door post, and just got a new windshield, and there is nothing to connect, snap, or otherwise hold the trim. I will watch this for the answer. Somebody here will know. May I ask, does your rear window have trim or windlace around the headliner at the back glass?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I believe it just has a tan trim strip on the edge where it meets the glass. I will look at it closer tonight for you and post what I see. Its like plastic or something to finish the edge of the headliner. Pretty sure that's what is there

J

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
If the 64 is like the 61 and 62 there is a set of windshield moulding clips that hold the stainless on. These attach to the pinch weld before the rubber gasket is installed.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
there are clips in place for sure....any trick to getting the molding on or anything though? The piece I lost kept popping up in the center for whatever reason. I never pushed on it really hard to try and get it to reattach, just pushed it down a few times. Should it "snap" or something when its attached? Should I epoxy/glue the backside or anything?

Bobaloo

Well Known Member
The clips are part of the body apparently. My car has had a rough life, I have a few left but not many. I didn't think I had any. I will probably help my situation with 3M trim adhesive. If you are neat - it can't hurt.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Window clips

Window trim clips install under the rubber seal on the body lip. I sold my last set. I see them on Ebay once in a whild. You have to remove the windshield to install new clips. If they get bent out too far, they never hold and you cant bend them back while the window is installed. Look like these.

Attachments

• windowclips.jpg
    windowclips.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 36

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
how do the moldings actually clip on to those clips??? I don't really get it I guess?? Should I use some trim adhesive along with snapping the trim in place?

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
how do the moldings actually clip on to those clips??? I don't really get it I guess?? Should I use some trim adhesive along with snapping the trim in place?

Trim adhesive is not the answer. The clips are available from Harmon's and other vendors. You might want to bite the bullet and have a reputable glass shop uninstall your windshield, replace the clips, and then reinstall with a new gasket.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If the 64 is like the 61 and 62 there is a set of windshield moulding clips that hold the stainless on. These attach to the pinch weld before the rubber gasket is installed.

these are present in the channel above the windshield...so I should just be able to "snap" the new piece in place then right?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Unless

If they are bent outward, they won't hold. Block of soft wood and a rubber mallet is what I used to seat mine into the clips because of the old sealer years ago.