How fast is the fastest 409 that is streeable

david montanbeau

Well Known Member
No where near Lansing, I am in the U.P. For sure sure there are many street 409's faster than mine. I like mine though.
Sorry about that. I just glance and saw what looked like Lansing. My daughter has a cottage up in Upper MI. Do you still have the car?

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Yup, i was getting it ready for the reunion in Kentucky. Lots to get done before we leave.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
So was that 409 cubic inches?
Geez..... Factory block 4.375 bore, 3.76 stroke = 452 c.i. Factory iron #583 heads (ported) dual quad afb carbs. Looks like a W to me. Best of 10.41 @ 128 mph 1.42 60 ft. at 3720 lb.
Now James, is the salt shaker engine a stock bore and stroke that actually measures 409 c.i. ? How many street miles does the shaker drive per year?

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Well, the engine that is in the car now is 460 cid. This engine seen 12000 miles on the street. 11.33 best time with no track tuned by leadfoot.
The one I was running was a stock stroke and stock bore. This one went up and down the road in front of my house a time or two. 12.23 best time with lots of track tuned by leadfoot. :cigar

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ray,you forgot to mention 9.7-1 compression and a small 230-236m @ .050 CAM.
Yes that's true. The pistons were 10.5 Ross with a truck block were in the 10.0 range. Cam was smallish. I was surprised it ran that good. Others were predicting low 13's. Ronnie Russell predicted 12.80. There's still a thread on here somewhere when I was building the engine with all the comments.

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The engine I blew up at Bowling Green last year was a true 409 cu. in. Best time 11.86 @ 112.78. The only thing not stock was the
RW intake manifold and a Crane cam. :cry I loved that engine!

Was that the same engine you had at clay city a few years ago for the first 348-409 shootout and what did happen to it and was it saveable?