How long after media blasting...?

SSFrank

Supporting Member 1
Hello everyone. I'm looking for some sheet metal opinions. I recently purchased a 61 Impala that had the sheet metal blasted and then was never primed. I have no idea how long ago this was done. The metal is a bit coarse to the touch. Will 80 grit on a DA be sufficient to remove this surface rust and not have future issues? I've read that priming should be done within like 24 hours after blasting. Definitely not my case. I'm not a body man by trade so any input would be great. Thanks!

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You may want to go with something a little more course, it depends on how bad the surface rust is. Then spray it down with metal prep and wash off with a hose.

SSFrank

Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the quick reply! I'll try 80 grit on a spot and see how it does. I'll work my down if needed. I just had myself a little concerned after reading some posts on an auto body forum. Thanks again for the input!

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If it's only surface rust and a lot of metal shows through, I would think you could use a 120 grit, especially on a da sander.. I had my body media blasted, then sealed/primered 9 months later. I do know the shop kept the body in doors in semi climate controlled shop, they don't like to work in a lot of heat or cold. I also know once they started tackling the prep, they spend a full day of sanding and cleaning the body before moving it into the paint shop.
However, the climate in and around Denver is quite dry and there was more dirt on the body than there was rust.
If you're in a dry climate and the body wasn't outside in the rain, you may be able to start with less course.

And since I've never had a chance to use this - :pics

SSFrank

Supporting Member 1
Sorry Radar for no pics. I've been messing with some other projects. I'll get something posted this week hopefully. Thanks for the reply.