How long to run an air compressor?

bobs409

Administrator
Here's one nobody asked before...

I have a 7HP Porter Cable single stage air compressor and was wondering how long is it ok to let it run before giving it a break when doing big jobs such as sandblasting, etc?

I recently bought a pressurized sandblaster and while using it, I found the compressor basically runs constantly.

60biscayne

Supporting Member 1
Air Compressor runs Hot!!

Hi! All I know is I have a 4 HP. Sears Air compressor I bought new in 1977. I used to sandblast big parts, and like you said, it basically ran solid, all the time. After about a half hour or so, the thermal overload in the motor would temporarily shut the motor down. Then, I took a good sized fan, put it on a stool, or something like that, blew it on the motor and compressor, and I'd run it solid for hours. The fan did the trick. By the way, that air compressor is still working today!!! Almost 30 years old. Cast iron block and aluminum head, 2 cyclinder. Sears doesn't make 'em like that anymore!! If you use that fan, and keep it cool enough, I don't think it'll hurt them to run for longer periods of time. Doesn't hurt to change the oil in them occasionally too, If they take oil, that is!! Happy Blasting. Brian.:brow

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
he instruction for my new I R said to run the compressor for 1/2 hour without building any air before using it.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
jester said:
he instruction for my new I R said to run the compressor for 1/2 hour without building any air before using it.

Just like warming up the engine before leaving for work !!

The fan idea is a great one !!! that should help keep any compressor working for a long time.
I also would give it a break once and a while.

Also use a quality oil for AIRCOOLED engines !! I use a name brand compressor oil,, shoot a few more pennies for one quart of oil won`t break the bank!!,, dq

bobs409

Administrator
Yes, I like the fan idea too! :brow

I guess there is no set time to shut down then.

P.S. I did the 1/2 hour break in when it was new.