How long will an M22 Muncie hold up to 500hp?

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
My Muncie first gear after switching from drag radials to slicks. Now, mine didn’t have the M-22 style straighter cut gears, but I’ve always been told that wasn’t so much to make stronger gears, but to keep them from trying to walk out of the case, and with the Auto Gear case I want too worried about that. Somebody correct me on that if I’m wrong.
Boy does that look familiar! I have the same thing in my Nova, a G-Force G101A with a McLeod soft lock clutch.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
When you do get ready for a G-Force ask them if they have any pre-owned cases. They did a used, factory checked case with new guts for me. Saved about $1000

The other BIG advantage of the G-Force is gear selection. Going from a 2.56 first to a 3.17 made a huuuuge difference getting the car moving. Then tweaking the other gears to suit you. I had concerns on the 1-2 gear spacing but it turned out to be a non issue.
I went to the PRI show and bought it there, they like CASH and shipped it for free.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If you find a used G-Force make sure its a G101-A and not a G101, The G101-A has the handcuff and that is where the transmission gets all its strength. The handcuff holds the mainsheet and the countershaft together, without it the mainsheet rises under load causing tooth separation and breakage.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
How about a ford top loader, stouter than the muncie and st10
I have one that has been pro shifted I'm going to try.
If your drag racing with 450HP + and have good tires (slicks) it will probably break, its an OEM synchronized transmission with helical cut gears that was designed for street use. It may be a little more stout than a T10 or Muncie but its still questionable for racing. Sell it to a ford guy for a restoration and put the money towards a gearbox that was designed for drag racing.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Just remember the L 78 L 79, ZL1, Yenco Super cars, LS 6 70 Chevelle all had Muncies in them but had bias ply tires on them too. Lol
Some of those super cars had Muncie M22's in them, they had a gear set with less of an angle on the helical cut gears but still were not straight cut like a transmission designed for drag racing. M22's are expensive and harder to find, you can buy M22 gear sets and build one from a m20 or m21 transmission but they still break under extreme conditions.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If your drag racing with 450HP + and have good tires (slicks) it will probably break, its an OEM synchronized transmission with helical cut gears that was designed for street use. It may be a little more stout than a T10 or Muncie but its still questionable for racing. Sell it to a ford guy for a restoration and put the money towards a gearbox that was designed for drag racing.

I'll sell it to a ford guy after I scatter it. :D

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
That's when mine went at Great Bend. Mine had the mid support and special gears from Italy. Don ??? somebody built it. He's from Indiana. I believe I got 4 or 5 years out of it.

Get a Saginaw.......:laugh2:laugh2
Now thats funny, a friend of mine had 71 or 72 Nova 350 4 speed back in the early 70's. When it broke the bottom of the case blew off and left a huge oil patch of 90 weight on the road that stayed there for months, every time we drove by that spot we would laugh.