How much needs to be machined from my intake?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
With the measurements you just gave,I'd either slot the intake manifold bolt holes or open them up a little.Silicone in place of those stupid little end seals,and call it good.Even if there's a small amount of port mismatch,that little engine will never show it.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm going to order an Edelbrock intake gasket set, as Brian mentioned earlier, they are thinner than what I have now, advertised at .060" thick. And slot the holes as Don mentioned above. Should be good to go.:pray

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I always use silicone on the ends. I've got a set of Edelbrock intake gaskets on the way. I'll set the intake in position with the gaskets and see what it looks like. I still have a set of Fel-Pros if I need a thicker gasket, but It'll take some extra bolt hole filing.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Thicker gaskets might not work here.That will only raise the intake up.It will depend upon whether the top or the bottom of the holes needs to be opened up in order to get the holes to line up.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
But if there is 0.072 gap I figured that what was was needed for alignment off the block so things needed to be moved up.

Intake hole above or below head bolt holes/ports with no gasket? Above needs to be milled, below no milling needs more gasket thickness-or deck surface on head or block milled to drop the head hole down.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Finally measured the thickness of the FelPro gasket. It is approximately .090" thick at the bead around the ports and approximately .070" thick otherwise. We'll see how the Edelbrock compares.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Also remember Jim,that the .090 that you measured is uncompressed.It will compress down to about the thickness of the rest of the gasket,especially after the engine has a few heat cycles on it.A gasket that fits well when first put on cold may compress to the point that it leaks.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I did give that some thought Don. I'm going to wait and see what the Edelbrock gaskets look like and decide from there which to use. Maybe slotting the bolt holes and using the thicker gasket will work. I'll also have to make sure the thinner gaskets don't allow the intake to drop too much and there is still a slight gap between the intake and block for a small bead of sealer.