How Rare is 63 Power Bench seat and tilt wheel?

blkss64

Well Known Member
Whats the difference between a 63 and a 64 steering column? I know a different wiring harness and wheel. I have someone wanting to trade the 63 powerglide tilt for a 64 floor shift column.

Thanks,
Don
Is the 64 floor shift column a tilt as well? The floor shift tilt columns are in more demand.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The parts car is a 63 Cdn Pontiac convertible. The columns in these cars are the same as the Chevy columns of the same year, except for the dash column bracket. The steering wheel is the same except for the Pontiac plastic emblem in the center.
IMG_1546.JPGIMG_1544.JPG

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I put a 63 Chev 4 speed column in my 63.

Its a 54000 mile convertible, I found a build sheet in the back seat for the parts car. It has convertible rot, rusted out are the rockers, floor, trunk, wheel wells, rear quarters, its basically completely rotted on the bottom from the door posts back, but I think the doors are good, the hood and trunk lid is good, the convertible top frame is mint. The rear bumper passenger side bracket is rusted completely off with a hole in the bumper you can put your hand through,iIt looks like electrolysis. The hubcaps are dent free, the heater blower works, the 2 speed wipers work, the interior has one split seam in the back seat, the padded dash has no cracks. The glass is all good, but some rust on the chrome strips on the glass. The hood springs work. The cold and hot light come on with the key, the amp gauge seems to work.

From the build sheet, its a 283 2 barrel powerglide, PS, PB, tinted windshield, seat belts, power top, low D note horn, white walls, luggage liner(?), the tilt wheel and power seat. The frame looks good and it has a very new single exhaust, brakes seem to work.

The motor is not seized but the starter won't spin over, the 2 barrel leaks when I poured gas in it to try to start it. It "looks" like it should start, it was low on anti freeze but I don't see any leaks, the top rad hose has paper stickers on it.
I got it off a body shop, don't know the story on the car but they had taken it apart. No title.

IMG_1537.JPG

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here's one for sale, $750. Wow, you were right Phil.
http://www.autopartsobsolete.com/1963-1964-chevrolet-impala-tilt-steering-wheel.html
i-Nw8HctX-X3.jpg

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Guess they will have that for sale a long time. You can buy a ididit chrome floor shift tilt new for 63'64 Impala $626.00 shipped with a warranty and better built .Why would anyone pay a $1000.00 for a used ,needing rebuilt column. Not original gm, would not bother me.