How strong is a 3 speed?

Bel Air 348

I was wondering how much is too much for a stock 3 speed out of a 1959 Bel Air with a 6 cylinder. I want to drop in my 348 but Im not sure if the 6cyl 3 speed is strong enough.:dunno

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I don't think there's any difference. The 3 spd was the standard trans offered on the 348 so I wouldn't think it would be a concern.:dunno

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
........... as long as you don't get on it toooooo hard..... :nono1:

.......... I broke lots of them in a '58 Chevy with a 283 & tripower back in the day and as far as I know the 6 cyl & V8 transmissions were the same.......... back then you could buy another for $20-$30........ and you eventually ended up with lots of parts........ I could change a transmission in 15 minutes in that car once it was jacked up.

Dave

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
........... as long as you don't get on it toooooo hard..... :nono1:

.......... I broke lots of them in a '58 Chevy with a 283 & tripower back in the day and as far as I know the 6 cyl & V8 transmissions were the same.......... back then you could buy another for $20-$30........ and you eventually ended up with lots of parts........ I could change a transmission in 15 minutes in that car once it was jacked up.

Dave

How long does it take you now:roll :roll
Robert

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Look the three speed over. Make sure the shifter forks are tight and put new gromments in the entire shift linkage and then you should have no problems. The only way it would fail is if you dropped the hammer on it with big tires or tried to emulate Ronnie Sox or Don Nicholson with some power shifts. The three speed that you have has a longer ratio between the 2nd and 3rd gear than the trans that came with with the 348. They are the same gear box. With the 348 came what was called a close ratio 3 speed, the six and 283 had what called a wide ratio 3 speed. Make sure there is no slop inside or outside and you will be fine.:brow Roy

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well Robert it would probably take me a lot longer just to get under the car.........

and yes Roy I had big tires, did the hard launches, the power shifts ....... the car was pretty quick for what it was .........

and I was 18 years old and a little stupid !!!!!:doh :doh

Dave

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
3 speed

The 6 cyl trans input shaft is stronger than a v-8. A v-8 trans input shaft trapers down after the clutch spline, the 6 cyl is the same size from the spline to bearing. None is made for a lot of HP. Most made by Saginaw.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

Bel Air 348

Yeah mine tapers down after the spline thats the part Iam worried will break the most. You say that the 6cyl input shaft is stronger? Would I be able to swap the 6cyl input into mine?

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yeah mine tapers down after the spline thats the part Iam worried will break the most. You say that the 6cyl input shaft is stronger? Would I be able to swap the 6cyl input into mine?

How much horse power does your 348 have? Unless it's really built up you shouldn't have too many problems. That 3 spd is probably about as strong as a Saginaw 4 spd, which is a little weaker than a Muncie but should be good for 300+ hp.

Bel Air 348

Well I actually have a choice between a 348 with 260hp 350 with 300hp and a 396 with 325hp. Those are just estimates though but Iam sure those are close. I would really like to have the 396 just for the trip to Reno in August but that might be too much.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The first two should be fine, the 396 may push it if you drive like a wild kid.
If you drive with out trying to burn rubber every other signal light you should be fine with all three. I would be more concerned with breaking the rear end or u-joints if I were you.

Well Known Member
3sp/348/335hp

I never striped a gear,but,2-3 syncro hub would go boom!Get a 4-sp munzie!!:doh

jr.W

Well Known Member
Lakewood solid joints seem to be fairly stout. I have them in my camaro(sorry for
swearing)with a 4 speed and a fairly stout 350(oops did it again) with 11" wide
tire and have not broke one yet. Just a thought but maybe you should use standard joints so if some thing breaks its just a joint.:scratch

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The key to this issue is how he drives the car. Like a sane man, nothing should ever break. Burning rubber, power shifts (if that's possible with a 3 spd) and anything can break.