How to correctly identify the 62-64 14X6 JK wheels?

bobs409

Administrator
Is there a tell tale trick? As far as I know, they didn't use a code stamped near the valve stem until 1965.

While I'm out scrounging Carlisle coming up, it would be nice if I knew what I was looking for. :D

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Your title is wrong!!!! 62-63 are the same rim. 64 started the safety bead and changed the offset.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Your title is wrong!!!! 62-63 are the same rim. 64 started the safety bead and changed the offset.

Well kinda......the 6" station wheel began in 1961. The 61, 62 & early 63 wheels are the same EXCEPT the 61 wheel has the 4 little nubs to retain the full wheel cover. This is a one year only wheel. Also, the 61 six inch wheel only came on the 9 passenger wagon making this an extremely rare wheel as not all station wagons got them in 61. Starting in 62 all wagons recieved the 6" wheels.
The safety bead started mid-year of 63 and continued on into 64. As Phil said this changed the offset and the wheel no longer had the deep appearance. The 62 and early 63 wheels are the most desirable because of the offset and the deep dish apperance. If you find a set of the 61 wheels, they are the ones to get but they will be very expensive if the seller knows what he has.
So, look for 6" wheels with 4 little nubs or, if you don't find them at least don't purchase any with a safety bead.

62BillT

Well Known Member
I had always believed that some '64 Wheels also had the Deep Dish apperence ?? Maybe I saw some with '61, '62 or early '63 Wheels on them?, lol. But they did on some '65 and '66 Wheels anyway. I have a few.

Bill

bobs409

Administrator
Diggin' up an old thread. Question about 14 X 5 wheels with the nubs. I have 2 of them I want to ebay. I see a 60 stamped near the size so what year did these have the 4 nubs for the wheel cover?

DSCN6737.jpg DSCN6733.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
I think I may have found the answer. 59-61 with these being 1960 There is a guy with a rusty pair on ebay that wants $150 plus shipping. Are these worth that much? Mine are nicer, I soaked in rust remover and wire wheeled as shown. Only some paint left.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I hear you Bob. I have a large blast cabinet also. The bad thing is when friends find out, they want you to do all kinds of things. I don't mind small stuff, but one guy wanted me to blast an old fire hydrant. Or they ask for one thing, like a manifold I did for a friend, then all of the sudden he wanted 7 more things done. I use to blast Harley tanks and fenders, auto parts etc. It cost too much to be running the compressor, using the media, wearing out tips etc to be doing it all the time for free. Plus my vac system is loud. I don't like that the most.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Not to mention, the safety side of it. :eek1 Doesn't matter what brand of Blaster that's used, there's always stuff floating around afterwards.:yikes

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
As a seller on eBay..........I tried to sell everything "clean". Why sell a 409 oil pan with old oil in it when you could buy a clean one? I felt it really helped me with sales. Just something to think about Bob as a seller. I bet you would get more money for clean, glass beaded rims that someone who probably doesn't have the equipment, would be willing to pay. Just a thought..................

bobs409

Administrator
Quite possibly. For some things I can agree with that but wheels would take me a long time to do and be a pain. Some parts just aren't worth putting time and work into. It's a matter of weighing time/material vs. how much extra that would get. Guess it really depends on the part(s) and their value/rarity.

bobs409

Administrator
Well just a follow up, they sold for $99 plus shipping on ebay. Finally something sold. Sales have been terrible lately! (except the manifolds) ;)