How to destroy a piece of 348-409 Mickey Thompson Power Ram history one part at a time because you can.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Maybe if Steve is successful with the intake it will open possibilities for other types of intakes to be modified and pulled off shelves. Lot of cool old history sitting unused because it simply doesn't perform as needed or desired.
That would be cool if there weren't so few of these specific and unique intakes. Where no one else even made anything like them. So yes a Volkswagen VR6 engine can be stuffed into a Bugatti Atlantic type 57 and make it faster, smoother and even get better gas mileage but why not just accept the Bugatti for what it is with its known idiosyncrasies and rarity?

427John

Well Known Member
While I agree that giving away 22.5 billion leaving yourself with 22.5 billion doesn't exactly leave one in a bind,I believe that the people who expect the handouts and criticize the lack of them,because they don't feel the responsibility for making their own way thru life in a law abiding manner are much more flawed in their beliefs.Sure there are people that wind up where they are due to circumstances beyond their control,but I believe a majority of them chose the path they followed to where they are, such as choosing to use addictive substances,having children they can't support,taking the easy way by choosing to engage in illegal activities to support themselves.Unfortunately our society has instilled in people that the fact that they showed up here proves that the world owes them a certain standard of living that includes the latest smart phone,as many cigarettes as they care to smoke, as much booze as they care to consume,or as much drugs as they care to use,and while I believe they are free to choose those paths they should be prepared to support those choices on their own.Some have apparently lost the ability to distinguish between what they need and what they want,and I don't believe the answer is to take from those who have provided for what they need and are now pursuing what they want,to provide necessities for those who have chosen to spend their resources on what they want before providing for what they need.

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
First pull was just under 5,000rpm, it was popping and made 501 hp.

This pull was the last and best, 563hp, 527ft lb pull at 6200rpm. Don’t mind the flappy pipe, the O2 sensor was too close to the exit so we put that on to try to get an accurate reading. This pull was the last and best, 563hp, 527ft lb pull at 6200rpm. Don’t mind the flappy pipe, the O2 sensor was too close to the exit so we put that on to try to get an accurate reading.

450ft lbs at 3300, 500 at 3,800, and holds in the 520's from 4,000 all the way through 5,600
and zero Reversion!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Steve texted me this, the entire combination worked pretty darn good I’d say foe 9.3-1 compression stock stroke 409 with 690 heads.
He posted 9.6:1 and with 92 Octane. Better be north of 500hp with just the internals when he says the 690's were ported and have 2.30" intake and 1.85" exhaust valves. Not sure if he flow tested the heads during the process. Would be helpful to know what they flowed. I'll give him a buzz tomorrow and find out what the heads were flowing. Should make those truck tires burn rubber through all of the gears.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
He confirmed 2.30 and 1.78 valves. Has the 690's intake flowing 308cfm at .070" and 224cfm exhaust at same. That his plenty healthy to feed the engine. I wish my 690's were flowing that well but not yet. I did just drop off some 583's today though. We will see how they come out after machine work.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I see there is a hand full of these intake manifolds from M/T, but what about the M/T 409 Stroker crank ?, Does anyone knows how many were build?
There are also M/T third members for the 17spline junk rear ends. Not sure that would be much help since a 9" will handle most anything you can throw at it.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I agree. In this case there is no comparison of how it performed before vs the results he will get after all of that work so not going to find out much other than the engine still runs in this case. There are no variables to compare/consider because there is no before and after testing. I'm all for improving anything but I accept that even if I put a LS engine in a Mustang it will never be a Chevy car. To many people don't consider or understand that race engines aren't meant to go get groceries/ice cream. Taking an intake that is designed for racing in the 4000-7500rpm range is silly to chop up to make it more streetable. At that point people are better to just buy an LS and get the simulated W motor valve cover covers. LOL! I'm all for every car guy to run 1000hp 800+ci engines on the street but there will always be that one guy that will want to Fill the block in, modifying it to 454ci when they should have just started out with the right equipment to begin with. I would be more impressed with a fully fabricated cross ram. That would blow my mind and cost less then taking a $2k intake and chop it up. :dunno2
I've seen a sheetmetal crossram but I don't think it made it onto an engine yet. I would guess close to $2500-$3K.
Bob

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looks like very nice work. I heard pros talk about that intake and you needed a balnce passage between the 2 sides of the intake. There's a guy in Ohio running one and he has a 56 so he had the hood clearance to add 2" spacers unsr the carbs and used them to route his balance tubes. It worked much better after the balance tubes. A carb pro told him before the balance tubes he could see the fuel coming back out of the carbs. At the end of the day, as long as you made it better.
Bob

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That single 4 cross ram intake was advertised in Circle Track magazine for a long time . I think even Jim McFarland(long time tech writer in Circle Track) had some design input into it. He also did some design for Edelbrock.

Most of the later factory Chevy and Pontiac Cross ram intakes used in Trans Am Racing and the Smokey ram and "Street tunnel Ram" by Edlebrock all had one large plenum vs two plenums. Many tuneres used a clear plastic top for porting the port entrances and trying to avoid fuel puddling in sections. Many of the old Pontiac racer found on the M/T cross ram a balance tube helped buffer some of the pulses between cylinders. This one is mine , some of the old original ones were much cruder often using hose between them.
So Mickey Thompsons boys found out the balance tube helped way back then. If enough people would have wanted to buy that 09 intake, they would likely have added the balance tube.