How to destroy a piece of 348-409 Mickey Thompson Power Ram history one part at a time because you can.

427John

Well Known Member
Do ya'lls cars still have all the carpeting and sound deadener insulation in it?You'd be surprised how much all that crap weighs,and of course cars that aren't street driven can lose their heater,and all accessories such as radio,sunvisors ,and mirrors, the base model full length rubber mat with no insulation is pretty light.The best part is that after you lose all that stuff,when your driving along the inside of your car sounds like the interior shots of the 55 in Two Lane Blacktop.If your really serious about losing weight you make your rear quarter windows fixed and eliminate the regulators.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Do ya'lls cars still have all the carpeting and sound deadener insulation in it?You'd be surprised how much all that crap weighs,and of course cars that aren't street driven can lose their heater,and all accessories such as radio,sunvisors ,and mirrors, the base model full length rubber mat with no insulation is pretty light.The best part is that after you lose all that stuff,when your driving along the inside of your car sounds like the interior shots of the 55 in Two Lane Blacktop.If your really serious about losing weight you make your rear quarter windows fixed and eliminate the regulators.
I have the factory carpet and padding. The heater, radio, and wipers are gone. That saved a whole 27 pounds.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Being street/strip and set up for Drag Week type events, I've got carpet and under lay, front factory bench seat, all facory glass and winders, 4 point chromoly cage, spray on tar under body sound deadener, heavy reinforced chassis work, boxed factory control arms, rear anti roll bar, dual fuel sytems with 1 x 23 gallon fuel cell for street, 1 x 3 gallon fuel cell race, large engine oil cooler, large trans oil cooler, large fuel cooler with fan, seperate engine water cooler with fan for extreme heat driving to help out large capacity radiator, big 3 1/4" housing tube 9" Strange rear end with nodular iron centre, heavy wall two piece 3" tail shaft, TH400, and so on..................all ads up. Other problem is I also like food and beer:D

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Being street/strip and set up for Drag Week type events, I've got carpet and under lay, front factory bench seat, all facory glass and winders, 4 point chromoly cage, spray on tar under body sound deadener, heavy reinforced chassis work, boxed factory control arms, rear anti roll bar, dual fuel sytems with 1 x 23 gallon fuel cell for street, 1 x 3 gallon fuel cell race, large engine oil cooler, large trans oil cooler, large fuel cooler with fan, seperate engine water cooler with fan for extreme heat driving to help out large capacity radiator, big 3 1/4" housing tube 9" Strange rear end with nodular iron centre, heavy wall two piece 3" tail shaft, TH400, and so on..................all ads up. Other problem is I also like food and beer:D
What did you remove? 3800 is in the neighborhood of stock weight? And you added a lot of non stock weight.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
What did you remove? 3800 is in the neighborhood of stock weight? And you added a lot of non stock weight.
Removed rear seat so I could carry stuff. Added glass hood and glass front bumper. Was iron block with Eddy heads, now ally BMP with Eddy heads. I suppose 3800+ not so bad, race weight is 4000 or so though. I'll confirm on our track scales again next outing.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
There are finished photos of the modified 409 M/T Power Ram on face book. Looks really good:clap. For some reason I couldn't upload, maybe someone else can?

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It would be interesting to see how much it improved all around engine performance pre and post modification on the exact same engine/trans/rearend.
Only an engine dyno could make a determination precisely but a chassis dyno would give a general sense of any changes. The first thing is to tune the factory cast piece to run at its best before trying to run the modified piece. I'm afraid this intake has fallen victim to people treating it like any other dual quad and being upset by their own lack of knowledge of how they are supposed to work or how to tune them.