How to get fat rear tires on/off the back of your old cars without unbolting anything.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've described before how I take a strap and just pull the tire down on itself. Here is actual photos of the tires as I'm pulling them out. With the jack under the center of the axle and one jack stand is under the opposite side of the tire you plan to pull. Lower the jack where the jack stand on the opposite side is pushing up and the opposite side drops down. Once you have a strap around your tire be sure you have the valve stem core pulled to let air move freely. Pull the strap down on the middle of the tire as far as you need to. Kick the bottom of the tire in and the top of the tire should come out easy. No unbolting shocks, pan hardbar/track bar or anything else. We used to do this in some of the 4x4 Broncos if I guy hadn't cut his wheel wells out when going off roading. This strap trick also works to put a tire back on the beads. Once you have the tire pulled down where both beads are touching then you apply a little bit of air. You may have to work the tire around with a little force but in most cases this trick shoves the side walls out along with the beads like magic. For size these tires are 275/60-15, 28"x10" and this is on my 64' Belair wagon. Figured I'm bolting on the 24" tires for some 1/8 mile fun to help make that 3.70 gear act bigger. I think traction is actually going to be a problem but I should know by tomorrow when I'll be out on the new black top flats by my house practicing. 20210413_165736.jpg:burnout
20210413_170553.jpg

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I would think if that's a steel corded tire that would severely distort them by mashing the tread of the tire. I never cross switch any radials tires I have ,to avoid running them backwards which they say also can affect steel cords. .

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
These are radial. The best part about these tires is the soft compound but keep in mind that they get bent in several directions when they make the tire and turn it inside out at the factory.