How to get rid of tailgaters

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think that ole Dodge might have had a few miles on it. What I used to do when I was driving my old Mack I had the brake lights hooked up to the key switch and if the 4_wheelers persisted with the tailgating off goes the key and then they got a foot full of brakes works like a charm and it especially cool in the dark because you get to see their headlight take a bow.

Mark

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
My first Chevy was a '62 Impala, somebody swapped in a 348/250 horse, 3speed stick on the column, and it had big long glass packs and full tailpipes. Very noisy car. It would rap on deceleration, but the fun thing to do was to give it a good run in high gear, take your foot off the gas,switch off the key, wait about 10 seconds and turn it back on. The result sounded like two 12 gauge shotguns going off under the car. It made a big flash as well. Great for tailgaters. We had someone we didn't like a block over, so we made a banzai down his street from him,shut off the key, and the result lit up the street at about a quarter to one one night. Eventually, one night we went out doing that and blew one glass pack and tail pipe completely off, and the other tailpipe came off at the rear of the surviving muffler. Next day, on went two nice quiet mufflers with turn downs at the outlet, and no more of that stuff. Funny while it lasted,however. Another thing, we kept getting pulled over for mufflers, they would check us out,never cited us, then let us go. The reason was that the mufflers were shiny,new,and visible.I had the car on the rack at the gas station I worked at, and I took a can of black header paint and painted them up to hide them. It worked, no more hassles.No more noise, also.

Last edited:

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
My first Chevy was a '62 Impala, soebody swapped in a 348/250 horse, 3speed stick on the column, and it had big long glass packs and full tailpipes. Very noisy car. It would rap on deceleration, but the fun thing to do was to give it a good run in high gear, take your foot off the gas,switch off the key, wait about 10 seconds and turn it back on. The result sounded like two 12 gauge shotguns going off under the car. It made a big flash as well. Great for tailgaters. We had someone we didn't like a block over, so we made a banzai down his street from him,shut off the key, and the result lit up the street at about a quarter to one one night. Eventually, one night we went out doing that and blew one glass pack and tail pipe completely off, and the other tailpipe came off at the rear of the surviving muffler. Next day, on went two nice quiet mufflers with turn downs at the outlet, and no more of that stuff. Funny while it lasted,however. Another thing, we kept getting pulled over for mufflers, they would check us out,never cited us, then let us go. The reason was that the mufflers were shiny,new,and visible.I had the car on the rack at the gas station I worked at, and I took a can of black header paint and painted them up to hide them. It worked, no more hassles.No more noise, also.

Long time ago when I was a youngster I use to work at this landscaping company and one tome when I was driving their stake bed truck coming back from the job I did that and it blew the muffler right off the truck needless to say the shop mechanic wasn't to happy with me.

I also had my own town nemesis Greg he ran the town Sohio gas station and he also had his own click and he didn't like the younger people especially if they had a drivers license. But after our relation ship soured I remember more than one time when coming home from the local watering hole I would stop my 66 Plymouth Fury wagon (the one with the brake line pinched off going to the back brakes) around about 3 or 4 AM I would stop in front of his house and lay down a power brake until the front porch light would come on and then I knew my job was accomplished and I would happily go home. To say this would piss him off would be a huge understatement.:burnout:laugh4

Mark

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Seemed that the growing up years did include such individuals. We had an old man next door to us for 10 years that hated kids. He was drunk almost all the time, his old lady was a good reason for that, but he would bellow at her and everybody else. He hated kids, and if my freiends came by and he was home, he'd barge out the door and bellow and swear at us, making a real scene.Happened to my brother and his buds,too.You never really knew what he was yelling about,either. The biggest mistake he made was making enemies out of all the kids in the neighborhood. They all had fun at his expense. One night, we were inside watching TV, my mom,my brother,and myself, and one of the neighborhood pranksters set off an M-80 on his porch. That resulted in a big scene, another time he yelled at a friend of ours who bought a brand new Honda 350 Motorsport,(this was about 1970 or so,) and swung a rake at him, nearly hitting him as he went down the street, and that touched off some revenge. Nest night, it was Monday about a quarter to 9 PM, we were all inside watching Rowan and Martin's Laugh In, and I heard a motorcycle go up the street, make a U turn, come down the street, go across his yard and spin a big doughnut, really digging up the place good. Mom didn't seem to hear it, and I never admitted that I knew anything, and it was quite effective at setting him off. We happened to live next door, and we got the brunt of it. After that, the local sheriff's deputies were a fairly frequent visitor. Finally, what ended it, was after they investigated the whole scenario, they confronted him and told him to knock it off. Thay also were tipped off about his drunk driving so much of the time, and inferred that they were keeping an eye on that, as well. They told us,also, since he was 66, to let up a little,and since I was 16 at the time,realizing that 50 years separated us, we had a rather silent truce. We lived there another 5 years, and the last thing I learned about him was that he passed away when I was 41. How any person or living organism could survive in that alcohol saturated condition that long is beyond me. Neighbor feuds do happen, but it's no fun when it's next door.

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
My Dad told me this guy that use to bug me was one of the worst ones on the road when he was young he use to drive fast so he was nothing but a hypocrite . You have to handle the neighborhood kids with kid gloves because they can make life hell for you when they get older. We have some kids in the neighborhood right now that piss's me off but I tell myself remember what you did when you were a kid this usually calms me down.

I bought a Triumph Bonneville motorcycle and the guy I bought from use to take it to the bar when he got into a fight with his wife and when he had a snoot full and was getting ready to go home he would sit on the bike and punch the living daylights out of the top of the fuel tank. I don't think I would want to mess with the guy these are some huge dents.

Mark

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I have a air tailgate on my dump and you don't even know how badly I wanted to pop the tailgate on some of these clowns.

Mark