How to ID a 1964 Impala SS

Don 409

Well Known Member
Hello,
I am about to purchase a 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS, 4 speed. What are all the ways to identify that this is a true Impala SS? It does have a 6000 rpm tachometer mounted on the dash. At this point it doesn't have an engine or transmission in it. He is letting me have a 327 engine and a Muncie 21 4-speed. What would be the best way to identify which engine and transmission it had when it came from the factory? The car is located about 100 miles from me and I will be picking it up and checking it over this weekend.
Thanks and any help will be appreciated.
Don

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Don, go to the "Frequently asked questions" on this site Bob has the answer per year.
So just go and look it over first, then come back if doesn't solve your problem.

Don 409

Well Known Member
Thanks guys. I think I got the information I need when I go to get it this weekend. It does have bucket seats but being 40 years old a lot of thing could have been changed. I didn't look at the trim tag or vin tag when I first looked at the car. I will check it out when I return.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The SS was a model by itself starting in 64. Check the door post vin numbers. It should be 1447 for the V8 coupe.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
the vin for 1964 is the first year that confirms a factory SS.
The first five numbers of the serial number: 41447 (4= 1964) (1447 = 64 Impala SS -V-8)
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Yes a 6 cylinder would have vin 41347 for a 2 door hardtop and 41367 for a convertible.
Just as a serial number: 21747 in a 62 Chevy is a 6 cylinder 2 door hardtop and all 1962 V-8 hardtops where 21847.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The 64 6 clylinder car numbers are for SS models.
In 62 (and 61 and 63 ) only the cowl tag told you if the car was an original SS car.

Don 409

Well Known Member
Just picked up the 64. It is a true SS V-8 car as the vin number started with 41447. Very solid rust free car. He also threw in a gas pump that needs restoring. Very honest guy that works for the sheriffs department and deals in from what I can see 61-64 chevys and chevy parts in middle Georgia as a side business. He has a lot of parts, motors and various cars from 61 to 64 for sale. Thanks for the help in making sure this was a true SS.
Don

Don 409

Well Known Member
His name is Ronnie and lives off Hwy. 36 in Jackson, Ga. His phone number is 404-597-3247. I'm sure he doesn't mind me giving out his number as it is on his business card. Hope this helps and tell him I sent you.
Don

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just picked up the 64. It is a true SS V-8 car as the vin number started with 41447. Very solid rust free car. He also threw in a gas pump that needs restoring. Very honest guy that works for the sheriffs department and deals in from what I can see 61-64 chevys and chevy parts in middle Georgia as a side business. He has a lot of parts, motors and various cars from 61 to 64 for sale. Thanks for the help in making sure this was a true SS.
Don
His name is Ronnie and lives off Hwy. 36 in Jackson, Ga. His phone number is 404-597-3247. I'm sure he doesn't mind me giving out his number as it is on his business card. Hope this helps and tell him I sent you.
Don
Bad news Phil!!! = That's only 60 miles from me! Can't believe I haven't heard about him before.
Good news Phil!!! = As usual.....I'm too broke to buy anything. :laugh

If you (or anyone else) comes down this way to buy a car or parts I sure hope I can get the chance to meet ya. There is a resteraunt in Jackson called Buckner's that is some of the best food ever!!!