How to identify between 348 and 409

DEAN0

Hi all, I am looking at buying a 62 Impala which is 4 hours away from me. The pic in my avatar is the engine in it.
I have always had tri 5 cars so I know absolutely nothing about these. The guy says its a matching numbers 409 car, I am waiting for a photo of the body tag from him that is legible enough to read. Is there any way when I get there that I can tell if its a 348 or 409 just by looking at the engine.
I dont really care if its not a matching number car........... But it has to be a 409, if its matching numbers thats a bonus. Thankyou

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Your best way is to look at the casting number to determine which engine it has.The dipstick being on the passenger side,as the 409 cars had,just means that it has a 409 pan on it[car or truck].As to the numbers on the car,there's no way to determine which V8 the car came with originaly.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
If it's a numbers matching engine the sequential portion of the VIN should be stamped on the pad in front of the passenger side head. If it's not number matching or if you truly want to verify the block is a 409 you will need to get a look at the casting number. This page will show you where that is and also you'll be able to find casting numbers for 409s vs 348s:
http://www.348-409.com/blockcast.html

Because of where the cast number is located, and if the engine is in the car, you will need a mirror to view it and it will be upside down.

This page will help determine if it's an original 409 car:
http://www.348-409.com/348409identify.html

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Nice chart Dick.How about adding this to the casting number segment of our forum,Bob?

DEAN0

Thanks for the help so far, here is the car and some tags

Attachments

• 776440403.jpg
    776440403.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 760480585.jpg
    760480585.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 52
  • tag.jpg
    tag.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 760480601(1).jpg
    760480601(1).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 52

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Actually, Cecil, I don't know. I was looking through the directory on my laptop that has my "W" block files and came across it. Don't remember where it came from originally. If you would like a copy I would be happy to email one to you.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
5/16ths would mean 6 or 2 barrel v8, just about anything bigger would be 3/8.
Actually, Cecil, I don't know. I was looking through the directory on my laptop that has my "W" block files and came across it. Don't remember where it came from originally. If you would like a copy I would be happy to email one to you.
No, but I would like to know where some of those numbers came from. 3860487 is for sure bogus for 58 unless it was a service block from 65 or later as is 3860487……never heard of either of those nor 3732755, 3782012, 3815707, 3839752, 3839754,

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
5/16ths would mean 6 or 2 barrel v8, just about anything bigger would be 3/8.

No, but I would like to know where some of those numbers came from. 3860487 is for sure bogus for 58 unless it was a service block from 65 or later as is 3860487……never heard of either of those nor 3732755, 3782012, 3815707, 3839752, 3839754,
I looked at the list too Cecil and had never seen some of those numbers!!!!!

Well do a little research guys. A simple google search turned up this web site. You might want to tell them you have never heard of these numbers!
:roll:laugh:roll

http://nookandtranny.com/Info_348-409.html

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
When I worked for a Chevy dealer in the ‘60’s in parts, I would flip through the parts book at the various engines, blocks, heads, etc.

I was always shocked at all the variety of part numbers we did not stock.

I later learned that Chevy would make some part for an irrigation or marine engine, HD truck, beef up a certain section of a part and they had to put a different part number on it.

For me if it was not a High Perf part I was not interested, little did I know some of this stuff was really great! I remember throwing away truck engines because of that gigantic notch!!

Just a little FYI, Pat.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The advent of aftermarket parts probably changed everything???

You are so correct.
I really believe it began with Zora and his letter(I have a copy) to GM about Ford taking over the Hot Rodders initiatives, if they did not do something then their future was in jeopardy or something like that.
From him, Chevy opened their production info to allow cams, pistons, intakes, etc.
One of the most important things the aftermarket did was to take for instance all of the various water pump part numbers for a small block Chevy and lay them out. The aftermarket realized they could make a couple of castings with various hose connections, etc. We could get a water pump at almost any parts house instead of the dealer.