How to install front disc brakes in my 62

wally409

Well Known Member
HI - been a while since I've been on the site. I'm going to finish up my bubbletop and I'd like to install disc brakes up front with a power brake booster. What donor Chevys would be best to get the parts I need to do the swap? Thanks, Wally

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Don't use parts from a donor car. Buy a kit with everything you need new. I'd highly recommend 58Delivery - a well known member here who sells disc conversions. His prices are as good as anyone's or better and he has been doing them for a long time. I converted mine before knowing what I do now and although it is acceptable, there are better ways to do it now.
When you talk to him (or anyone) make sure you discuss what wheels you will be using. Both diameter and backspacing or offset as well.
I will be buying from him the next time I put discs on one of mine for the street. As for my '61 Bel Air, I plan on going with a Wilwood set-up to save about 30 pounds sometime down the road. It's pretty much just for drag use. I'd recommend more stock parts for a street car.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A
Don't use parts from a donor car. Buy a kit with everything you need new. I'd highly recommend 58Delivery - a well known member here who sells disc conversions. His prices are as good as anyone's or better and he has been doing them for a long time. I converted mine before knowing what I do now and although it is acceptable, there are better ways to do it now.
When you talk to him (or anyone) make sure you discuss what wheels you will be using. Both diameter and backspacing or offset as well.
I will be buying from him the next time I put discs on one of mine for the street. As for my '61 Bel Air, I plan on going with a Wilwood set-up to save about 30 pounds sometime down the road. It's pretty much just for drag use. I'd recommend more stock parts for a street car.

I agree, don't waste the time for donor stuff these days. I have bought a full set of disc's, calipers, 2" drop spindles and brake booster set-up from Mike (58 delivery) and very impressed with every thing. Nothing yet installed as only in rebuild stage but very reasonably priced as well.
Can post pic's if you want.
Gav