How to properly store an engine???

So what do you need to do to properly store your engine? For at least 12 months. My buddy told me to spray wD 40 in the cylcindars ??? I just dont want it to rust internally thanks

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
my method is a bit crude mt it has always worked for me, I start by backing off all the rocker arms, then removing the sparkplugs and filling the cylinders completly full of clean motor oil. I have a 348 stored this way right now.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I run the idle up high and fog it with 2 cycle oil down the carb until it dies out...then loosen the rockers

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
boat dealers

Boat dealers (Mercury Marine) sell storage foam in a can. spray it in each spark plug hole and down the carb. Crank it over a couple times, Drain the water and blow it out with air and put it away. Did it to my boat every year without trouble.

desapience

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
64409 said:
So what do you need to do to properly store your engine? For at least 12 months. My buddy told me to spray wD 40 in the cylcindars ??? I just dont want it to rust internally thanks

Indeed, oiling down the cylinders, backing off the rockers to "save" the springs, and draining the water are important. But, NEVER leave a motor with the spark plugs in place. Leaving the cylinders open helps prevent water condensation from forming in the cylinders, which could lead to random pitting of the cylinder walls.

Dr. D.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Maybe off the subject a little bit. Speaking of new builds. Ever notice when you bring a block home from the machine shop and put it on the stand, then something delays getting started? With the humidity up, rust can form overnight. I can t help but think of what the inside of the oil passages look like. When I get started , I wash block with soap and water and flush oil passages , blow em out and squirtWD40 in em , but I always load the engine with oil ,right after assembly and then prime on the stand. Im guilty of over-kill on the pre-lube. Run the primer for a full 5 min, then rotate crank 90 dg. , another 5 min with primer, rotate, prime , over and over and over. Probably wasting a lot of time, but it gives me peace of mind. If the engine sits for several months before use, I know the inside of the passages have oil in them or at least are coated with oil. Not saying this is the correct way, but its just the way I look at things. Speaking of that, I must respectfully disagree with Dr D. about the spark plugs. I would never leave plugs out and allow moisture to enter the cyls. Sometimes the humidity is so bad here that the shop floor looks like a flood just came through. Seems to me that the plugs seal the cyl and keeps moisture out. I mean no offense, just a differance of opinion.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Replace the plugs with the plastic plugs filled with dessicant crystals as used in aircraft engines when stored. You can buy them from Aircraft Spruce or any aircraft supllier.