How to remove a dog dish cap without damage?

bobs409

Administrator
I put a set of dog dish caps on my 66 Impala I got from a member here that are very nice condition and I want to keep them that way but the day has come to pop them back off to install some new whitewalls. Looking for suggestions on how to remove them safely without denting the backside of the outer ring. :write

I know we have many high dollar restorers here, you must have a secret weapon for this task. :impatient Maybe make a special tool?

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I use a brake adjusting tool to pop them off, put a rag behind it so it doesn't scratch the wheel and lay a towel on the floor for cap to land on . But I also don't take them off unless its a have too situation
:yup
That’s what I use on mine too.. although I’m not worried about scratching anything on my heap... but I’m sure some carefully placed electrical tape on the tool could solve that....:rub

bobs409

Administrator
Bob, if all else fails, try cutting torches. Just heat the cap where it fits on the wheel nubs, till cherry red and the cap will then fall off unscathed. Might be somewhat warped, but at least no pry marks :laugh4:laugh4:laugh4, Carmine.

Just my luck, I don't own cutting torches! :doh

bobs409

Administrator
Would plastic pry bars help?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bjo-zb-14m-blk

I use these for popping out tail lights without scratching paint.

It's not really scratching I'm trying to avoid but putting dents on the back edge. I guess if I'm real careful I should be able to slowly work it. I'll put down plenty of padding as Tommy said because the cap will probably go flying! (my third arm hasn't grown in yet) :crazy

Tom Miller

Well Known Member
I used to use a wide flat screwdriver that I heated and bent a 90* at the end, and then I wrapped several layers of electrical tape to protect the wheel and the poverty cap.

On another note, I was on the forum looking at the paint finish page, and there it said this about wheels........
1962-1965 - When the standard small hubcap was applied to the car, the front side of the wheel was painted the exterior body color. When the optional wheel covers were installed on the car, the entire wheel remained semi-gloss black.

My aqua Biscayne had full wheel covers, but it had body color wheels?
I guess two things could have happened...
1) original buyer requested dealer install full wheel covers upon purchase?
2) somewhere in the cars history the wheel covers were installed by owner,
Or..
3) factory mess up, someone on the assembly line grabbed painted wheels and then noticed car was ordered with full wheel covers and didn't bother swapping another set of black rims onto the car?
Will never know for sure, original owner is LONG gone.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Some of the original GM wheel wrenches had a bit of a hook on the end for cap removal. I have a short thin piece of wood for the edge of the rim and a very long wide flat screwdriver.