how to remove grille rivets

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I bought and restored a nice old 64 grille to replace my mangled original grille and was wondering what the best way is to go about removing the old grille rivets when the grille is installed on the car? Punch and a drill bit? Dremel?

Thanks! I'll post pics once the new one is in. :brow

bobs409

Administrator
These snap off fairly easy. I just use a screwdriver and a hammer to knock the rivet head off.

Unless your going all out correct, do yourself a favor and use the threaded type rivet for the reinstall. They have a nut on the bottom and are very easy to install. (and can be removed again too!)

Trying to beat in the original type is NOT something I care to attempt. :eek:

Bob

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
On the 61's they used a pinch type fastener that looks like a upside down "Y". Part # 3746293 Retainer. The shaft of the Y is split so, when the shaft is installed into the holes of the grill and valance the Y ends are pinched with a pair of pliers and it actually reverses the appearance but the Y ends are larger so they will not go through the hole and retain the valance to the grill. The process is reversed to remove but, at that point the metal in the Y retainer is stressed and if you try and reuse they will break so they are a one time use only.

Does anyone know if these retainers are still available? I would like to get some.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
screwdriver and a hammer sounds good to me. I already bought the threaded "rivets" for ease of reinstallation. :brow Thanks guys!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
On the 61's they used a pinch type fastener that looks like a upside down "Y". Part # 3746293 Retainer. The shaft of the Y is split so, when the shaft is installed into the holes of the grill and valance the Y ends are pinched with a pair of pliers and it actually reverses the appearance but the Y ends are larger so they will not go through the hole and retain the valance to the grill. The process is reversed to remove but, at that point the metal in the Y retainer is stressed and if you try and reuse they will break so they are a one time use only.

Does anyone know if these retainers are still available? I would like to get some.

Dan,
I believe those are the same clips that hold the dash pads on 63-67 Corvettes and are available from the Corvette parts suppliers like Corvette Central, Paragon, Zip, etc. although they probably cost more as "Corvette" parts. I would check with Late Great Chevy or other Impala parts places.:coffee: