How to tell manual from power for a steering box? (62-64 era)

Junky

Well Known Member
The difference is so slight, that you probably won't notice the difference.. possibly the casting number, but hard to tell since they both look the same..

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Bob, That lock to lock 6.5 to 5.5 is what I wrote down for PS box difference lock to lock.

I am sure I have 6.5 in at least one of my factory power steering 62s' (have 3) and at least one 5.5 box and I do not notice any issues or difference.
Paul

62BillT

Well Known Member
This is what I have saved to my files:

Manual steering car gear is 24:1, or about 6 1/4 turns lock to lock.
Power steering car gear is 20:1, or about 5 5/8 turns lock to lock.

Which I have found to be pretty accurate through the years.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
It’s news to me that the pitman arms are different.
I never worried about a different pitman arm( they look the same to me - I have one on the shelf I see no differences) + I removed and replaced at least 10 total -1961 & 1962 steering boxes during 10 frame off and frame on restorations and I would have noticed a difference in the Pittman arms when they were removed, cleaned and painted and reinstalled.

I converted a friends 61 Impala Hardtop just a few years ago from standard power steering to factory power steering - we used the standard steering box on the car and when it was done it drove like my power steering 62’s, I would have noticed any differences, since the conversion was done for a friends son in law, and it had to be right...

I know at least one of my 3 -1962 factory power steering cars has a manual steering box and as I said above i do not detect a difference between driving the cars. The one extra turn in the steering box I think is not noticeable when driving the cars.

just checked my cars...
factory power steering 62 Impala Hardtop 327 4 speed- steering box # 5666723( as I remember I think this was a factory power steering car)
rebuilt steering box on my 62 Impala SS 409 convert added factory power steering - box # 5666728
steering box on my 62 Impala SS 409 Hardtop- added factory power steering - box # 5666723

steering boxes & one pitman arm I have on shelf
# 5666723
# 5666728
pitman arm # 3741383A
I see no difference on the pitman arms after “looking at my cars today” - as I said above

I do not notice a difference in driving my 62’s( the 327HT and my 409 convertible) that have different part #’s on the steering boxes. Just drove both cars within the last 3 weeks

Paul

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Maybe it's for 63? Maybe I'm thinking of something else too. :D

Pitman arms are different for non PS in 63 and 64.

7149.jpg