Howdy from AZ

MChance

My name is Mich I reside in Casa Grande AZ. I have been into Impalas for about 30 years primarily 1962's. I have had factory Big Block 396 cars but wanting to start my journey in the 348-09 side.
I'm looking for a 348 right now to put in a 53 Studebaker Loewy Coupe...hoping for suggestions on what to look out for in my craigslist searches lol.
What is a good deal?
I hate to ask stupid questions..

MChance

I've seen motors $500-800 condition unknown.
Is there any 348 specific stuff to watch for? I know nothing about these engines. I am very versed in 396/402/427 BBC been into them and running them and building them for years. I'm not a newbie that's engine dumb.
Do they have certain prone problems, I know there's truck stuff. Just like I avoid chevy big block 366 427 tall deck stuff except the cranks are cross drilled nitride.
Are 348 truck blocks ok? with passenger heads etc.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome. 348 truck blocks have 2 notches at the top of the cylinders which kills compression. Trucks are 7.5-1 compression.

MChance

Thank you for the welcomes! I'm happy to have found you guys!
Can you UP the compression easily? Im only looking for 350 HP.
My Studebaker weighs 2800 lbs from the factory it lost the 800 lb motor/trans. Lost its stock wheels, it's stock rearend. It now has fiberglass front.parts 15x5 and 15x8 orig Torque Thrusts , Dana.
I'd guess its about 1900+/- lbs currently.
I'm doing nostalgia cruiser. I wanted reliability, smoke tires, sounds good. choppy idle.
It would be easy and cheap with a SBC and I know how. I could easily do it with a 396, or 454 I already have and stuff in a camshaft. It's not what I'm after.
I'm dead set on being different with this build.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
350 horse is pretty easy. Upping compression is no problem, lots of pistons available. You may want to add a 409 crank to a 348 block. It is a drop in and makes 380 inch. A no brainer in my opinion.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Welcome Mitch,The only 348 truck blocks to use are the 962 and the 855 blocks from the 62 and later years.They have the better main caps and are single notch at the top of the bore like the car blocks have.For your application,the 5011 car block will be more than enough.Get a forged piston,a cam in the 224 in.,230 exhaust range,a set of 1147,817,or 333 heads to start with,an Edelbrock single 4bbl.intake,750 carb,make up a set of headers,and the aforementioned 409 crank,and you're looking at around 400 horses,no problem.If this peaks your intrest,let us know,we can "spec. out"a build platform for you.

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Welcome Mich, there are many common interests in this group.

If you've had '62 Impalas I bet you've had a 409 or two in your past?

The 348s seems to be more plentiful these days, at least in terms of "start up cost". They can be rebuild with more current metallurgies ad offer that same "look" as the more legendary 409. A lot of guys look for 348s out of the 1962-65 trucks (they were in C60s and C80s) as they are allegedly better castings, have different main caps, etc. Of course the more performance-oriented 348s are more expensive to acquire, but can be made into quite respectable performers. There are lots of guys with spare parts and such on this Forum, might be one has what you are looking for.

Good luck!

TomK

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome to the funny farm, the amount of knowledge here is amazing. These guys will steer you in the right direction, the majority have "been there, done that."

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Mich:

Just a slight numerical correction from Don's post on the casting numbers. We often refer to 348 and 409 blocks by the last three digits of their casting numbers on the rear flange. The more "desirable" 348 castings to most are the "962" and the "655" castings, all of which had the ArmaSteel main caps (as far as I know). I think the 962s were possibly "over the counter" truck block replacements and the 655s were also in the C-60s and C-80s, both with single notched cylinders just like the passenger cars from 1958 - 1961.

TomK

MChance

Thanks guys! Lots of info already! I found a 5011 block in Tucson through a buddy's buddy kind of deal that was machined a few years ago, new bearing installed, bored.030, just the block and intake. Wants $1,000 which sounds steep.

MChance

Tom, I have had several 62's one I believed to be a 409 car originally. It was a SS it had JK 14x6 wide wheels, tach, 3/8 fuel line, and it was a 4spd car, and had skinny fan shroud, the trailing arm was also boxed, not sure if someone made a clone or what? It had a chrome air cleaner in the trunk. I bought I from a woman who loaned money to ex boyfriend he couldn't pay.
It ended up with a 1962 dated 327/300 hp and matching 4spd
So I've never actually driven a 348 409 car, so is a 350 horse 348 any different than driving a 350 horse 350? I'm a Big Block guy and love the sound and torque of the Big Block Chevy. Are the W motors the same way, are you guys building them because you like the sound, the feeling, the torque and just being different.
I could just put in a 396 im hoping the 348 is comparible or MORE...I need something different. I love the look of the w motors and a set of vintage finned aluminum valve covers on a 348 under my hood would make me smile.
I don't want what everyone else has but what's a modest cost to do one of these? Rebuild kit is what about $1500-$1800. I'm assuming you don't drop off at Napa for a rebuild lol.

The motor I'm going to do is going into a Studebaker than is just under 2000 lbs. I think 350-400 HP should be good, but even more would be better. I am retired/disabled so I'm on a budget.
Also how do these motors respond to gears? I have 3.73 in it now, but have 3.54 and 3.08.

Gosh, I was going to do LS and 4L80e
I even have a 11.5:1 .040 283 with 327 crank, 30/30 Duntov cam, it would be fun in there!