Howdy

409ina50buick

My name is Jim, and I am as old as dirt and I have loved the 348/409 engines since I first saw one in 1962 (348). It was my sister's boy friend's car and I used to help him replace bent and broken pushrods about every two weeks. I didn't buy one until 1992, and it was a truck engine. I had it bored 0.120 over, line honed, and decked. I put hardened valve seats and a huge set of valves I bought out of Australia (no performance parts in those days). The rods were resized, polished and shot peened, and honed for floating pins. I installed a HP/HV SB oil pump and a splash shield. I had it internally balanced. A Com Cam 280 HE cam was installed behind a Cloyes True Roller timing chain with Rhodes lifters (I love 'em) with roller rockers and PR guides. The intake was converted to take a Holley 750 DP and was port matched to the heads. Using a trio of hand machined adapters, I installed a 350 Mallory distributor in it. I had Ross make a set of pistons for it (hyperutectic). Static CR is 9.5 to 1. Squish is 0.035". Then I got married and the engine has sat in my shop(s) ever since. I recently built a new shop and a 1950 Buick Special 43D Sedanette, and the 409 is going into the Buick. I just ordered some Sanderson headers for it and a set of finned aluminum valve covers. I am looking forward to hearing this old beast roar. It will sit in front of an explosion proof bell housing, 11" clutch, and a Muncie M-22.

Jim

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the site! :beer
Sounds like you've got a great project going on.
I think your engine is going to make plenty of power.
You might even be the first person to put a W motor into a 1950 Buick. :dunno
For those that don't remember,,, '50 Buicks probably had the most iconic looking Buick grill.

1950_buick_special_deluxe_4-door_red_frt_qtr.jpg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome to this great site Jim. Sounds like a cool project you have. We do like pictures here.

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Welcome aboard!! Make your way over to the Bowling Green Hot Rod Reunion if you get a chance a bunch of us will be there racing in our own class26176012_10214178069222831_1613799038_n.jpg

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Welcome, Jim.:bow Sounds like, an interesting project.:clap It will be plenty Kool, when finished.:appl