HP PICS

409envy

Well Known Member
From the color photo I posted above I'm going with Palomar Red...

Its also listed as Red in Rusty's Project Z11 book. Interesting that he remembers it as blue.

mark johnson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hayden’s car was Ember Red. Now Butch Leal’s Z11 was Monaco Blue and both cars were similar-prepped at Bill Thomas’ shop around the same time. There are photos of Hayden & Butch going thru Tech Inspection together at the 1963 Winternationals in Pomona, February 1963.

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Evan, you will have plenty of time to determine the actual paint code. As to any speculation that Hayden would somehow not be pleased that he is being honored once again, has been put to rest by the man himself. I for one am super excited to see this project started. ......

All you need to finish the car is the top half (easy for me to say) and I'm sure that you will find help there. It would be great to finish the car and Hayden put his "Signature" on it!!..........Now get your ass busy!........AND change your forum icon!

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hayden’s Z-11 was ember red. He told me blue though got confused with Leal’s car. He literally had the car a few months only.

Attachments

• CDD63078-F118-483C-8F87-1A6E683DDB50.jpeg
    CDD63078-F118-483C-8F87-1A6E683DDB50.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 97
  • E0CAB5D0-08BA-4844-8BDD-D80C544C49D9.jpeg
    E0CAB5D0-08BA-4844-8BDD-D80C544C49D9.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 95

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
If you were wondering about the above torque converter response here goes.

I’ve got a 65 Dodge A990 426 Hemi car. I think 1 of 16 found.
AFX winner, 1966, 11.36@125 stopping on drum brakes!

A3CB978D-E367-4422-A5EE-12BF3E77A690.jpeg

Anyway, last week it would not start. The starter bendix would not engage completely with the flywheel. We took it to the store to see what was going on.
The torque converter would move back and forth about 1/4”. The flex plate bolts to the converter had begun to pull out of the converter mounting lugs.

Cause:
Well, about 2 years ago Phil and others including Dennis came to see the progress of my garage construction and to look at cars.

I had the Dodge stored in climate controlled building.

I remember, Phil walking over to the Dodge, got in and started the engine!

I REST MY CASE!!

:laugh:roll:laugh:roll:laugh:roll

In all reality, I called Russ since I knew he had considerable Hemi experience. After some discussion he shared a similar experience he had. Turned out he was absolutely correct.

Have a new torque converter and bolts on the way.

A big THANK YOU RUSS!!

Moral to my stories....don’t let Phil near your cars:laughing