HP PICS

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm trying to gather all of Hayden's 1963 Z-11 pics and missing one of him getting teched at the 1963 Pomona Winternats. I will find it. Somebody told me they had a color shot of it in the pits years ago and will bother them for the Kodak slides again soon. Here is what I have now which many of you seen before.

Pic 1 -Hayden's Z-11 at Bill Thomas's Shop being put together (Jim Garrison did all 409 and 427 engines for Proffit and Leal under Bill Thomas) Notice the aluminum fenders laid against the bench and the firewall opening and adapter.

Pic 2 Hayden with Z-11 changing metering rods in the pits at Pomona, pissed Z-11's were kicked out of S/S

Pic 3 & 4 Hayden leaving the line in practice runs killing the 426 Plymouths.

I'm surprised no cloan car of Hayden's Z-11 was ever built like the '62 car. I'm sure Hayden would of liked that.

427-Z11_2.jpg hayden-proffitt.jpg
7533177_orig.jpg
12401937_10205613772683711_6461858989550679323_o.jpg

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Evan....the 62 was Roman red and the 63 color was Palamor red so they would be different. Check with Pat but I believe what I said is correct.
That would be a car to replicate!!!!!!!

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I know where there is a black 63 SS that was an original 4 speed 409 car -that was for sale - rust free floors, all the sheetmetal is original except the passenger fender
Was restored by a friend of mine -black with a black interior -tags say it was a white/red interior 63. Its currently a 327/300 HP four speed.
Its a padded dash non power steering car.
The guy in Georgia wanted about $30,000(maybe less) for it, another friend was going to buy it and bring it back to Iowa, but decided not to.

I am sure he has the contact info. probably to many $ ??- I have 45 pictures of the car right after it was finished.
it still looks nice from the pictures I saw.
could be changed to red ? I suppose it has to be a bench seat car.

Paul

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I'm keeping an eye out for one for you to consider, Russ :) :) :).

I forgot, is there a specific color combination for that donor?

RussC

Well Known Member
Yes...it should be a bench seat car. I'm not married to a color. My desire would be to buy a very well done car. Four speed...front antenna. Something I could color match my front end to. Motor is unimportant. Or maybe I should sell the stuff...no probably not yet!

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Someone else on the site was looking to build a Hayden Tribute car on here about a year ago. Wonder what happened to that?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Didn't Willie Wagner (I think that is his name) have one? I seem to remember a Black over Red Impala SS some years back.

Weren't the aluminum sets associated mainly with Super Sports in 1962?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm trying to gather all of Hayden's 1963 Z-11 pics and missing one of him getting teched at the 1963 Pomona Winternats. I will find it. Somebody told me they had a color shot of it in the pits years ago and will bother them for the Kodak slides again soon. Here is what I have now which many of you seen before.

Pic 1 -Hayden's Z-11 at Bill Thomas's Shop being put together (Jim Garrison did all 409 and 427 engines for Proffit and Leal under Bill Thomas) Notice the aluminum fenders laid against the bench and the firewall opening and adapter.

Pic 2 Hayden with Z-11 changing metering rods in the pits at Pomona, pissed Z-11's were kicked out of S/S

Pic 3 & 4 Hayden leaving the line in practice runs killing the 426 Plymouths.

I'm surprised no cloan car of Hayden's Z-11 was ever built like the '62 car. I'm sure Hayden would of liked that.

View attachment 42652 View attachment 42653
View attachment 42654
View attachment 42655
Had a 30 minute discussion with Hayden last night. He said his Z-11 was blue....Monaco blue. I always thought it was red. Said he did not have a choice of color.
What say you??