Hurst Pro-matic 2 shifter

bobs409

Administrator
Does anyone here have one of these?

I grabbed a used one at Carlisle for $40 bucks! I just put it in my truck yesterday and I HATE it! :evil

The price was right but the way it shifts is strange. You pull up, then go back to reverse, then either push down or pull up again to go to neutral. Then push down and pull back to go to drive. Once it's there, you can ratchet back through the D-2-1 which is nice but the part I don't like is from Park to drive.

You can't just go from park to drive as you have to stop at reverse, then stop at neutral. The same going back again. That seems stupid to me. There is no way of shifting this thing quickly in traffic if needed.

Now unless someone tells me something I'm missing, this will be going on ebay in a hurry.

It's in nice condition and complete except the insert in the shifter knob. There may be a rubber piece missing that goes in the shifter handle hole too, not sure.

I didn't even know what name it was until I just Googled it. I'm assuming it's the Pro-matic 2 as it's the only one shown that looks like it.

BTW, was there a Pro-matic 1? Maybe I got that reject? :D The nice thing is I should make money on it if I have to sell. New ones range from $149-179 on ebay. (over $200 on Hurst website)

Enlighten me please...

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
I am not familiar with your exact shifter, but I did have something similar in my 56 Chevy. It was a shifter that was built as a Drag Racing application. not friendly on the street.

I also had vertical gate shifter for a 4-speed manual on one of my 66 Chevelle Super Sports back in the day. It did not have the usual H pattern for the gears. Just pull it or push it front to back. I never did figure out if there was a way to downshift with that shifter :dunno. not street friendly either.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob, That what I use in my Impala.
Very nice shifter IMO, once you get used to it,,,

droptop62

Supporting Member 1
DQ, where have you been hiding?
Your posts are so random. You are not here much anymore.

:cheers

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Bob, I also have a Hurst Pro-matic shifter, droptop is right the shifter is used for race application. I'll never switch my shifter, because last year Linda Vaughn sat in my 57 and autographed my shifter :)

Picture.jpg

Picture053.jpg