Hurst Shifter Question

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I need to adjust the front and back bolts on my Hurst Competition Plus Shifter. The question is why do I need to turn the adjuster bolts in until they stop and then OUT one full turn and then lock the bolt while holding the shifter in 2nd or 3rd gear firmly seated all the way in gear. It seems that will allow for some over travel of the shifting mechanism. I would think if you locked the adjuster bolt upon contact with the shifter fully engaged then that would be properly adjusted. The reason I’m asking the question is that when I power shift into 2nd and then try to power into 3rd the shifter sometimes hangs up in the middle stuck in 2nd gear. I have to manually go under the car and with a pair of pliers and turn the 1-2 shifter arm straight up to neutral to free everything. The problem doesn’t happen every time and it does keep me from banging the gears really hard as I don’t want to lock up the transmission. I think overtravel is the problem.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I would think in this instance, you need to center the shifter arms on the shifter with the pin holes. I recall having to do this with a difficult 2-3 up shift. I think I even offset the adjustment a bit to aid in shifting. The alignment pin is maybe 3/16 dia. From memory.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I think you are right on the size of the alignment pin, 3/16. I adjusted mine with the pin in place and haven't had a shift problem.
It's been a while since I installed the Hurst, but I adjusted those 2 bolts as per instructions.

Last edited:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I need to adjust the front and back bolts on my Hurst Competition Plus Shifter. The question is why do I need to turn the adjuster bolts in until they stop and then OUT one full turn and then lock the bolt while holding the shifter in 2nd or 3rd gear firmly seated all the way in gear. It seems that will allow for some over travel of the shifting mechanism. I would think if you locked the adjuster bolt upon contact with the shifter fully engaged then that would be properly adjusted. The reason I’m asking the question is that when I power shift into 2nd and then try to power into 3rd the shifter sometimes hangs up in the middle stuck in 2nd gear. I have to manually go under the car and with a pair of pliers and turn the 1-2 shifter arm straight up to neutral to free everything. The problem doesn’t happen every time and it does keep me from banging the gears really hard as I don’t want to lock up the transmission. I think overtravel is the problem.
Sounds more like neutral gate is incorrect,then recheck the bolts per instruction. Do you have the plastic pin aligner that came with shifter??

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Yes. I have the pin that came with the shifter and i followed the instructions. The pin has aligned all the shift arms perfectly. One thing different is over this winter i installed all new shift linkage and have not had a chance to try that fix. The linkage did fit better than the previous and i also read somewhere that linkage is now being manufactured offshore.