Hydraulic Clutch

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Hello Everyone and happy new year. I have been thinking of converting my clutch linkage setup (stock) to a hydraulic clutch system. As most of you know I drag race my '62 and was wondering if any of you racers have done this conversion. If you have how is it working out for you? American Powertrain makes a system that looks good to me. I'm just looking for some input. Thanks

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
My current system does work well but there is less to go wrong with the hydraulic system. I've had linkage springs break, clutch rods break and clutch forks bind. I have piece together clutch forks, fork balls and rod lengths to match my Quick Time bellhousing and clutch so I get the right gaps and geometry for it all works in harmony. A hydraulic system will take all that out of the equation.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Paul, sounds like you are considering the hydraulic throwout bearing type as opposed to the slave cylinder/clutch fork type. I have the Ram setup in my Nova. So here are some things to consider:

Firewall/bracket flex where master cylinder attaches
Adjustment is a PITA but you only do it once hopefully
Bleeding

It is installed and adjusted and works well as a street clutch linkage, but you might need to fiddle with the pedal ratio to make it "quick" enough to live up to your expectations. It just has a different feel and release than a manual linkage. JMO.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Hello Everyone and happy new year. I have been thinking of converting my clutch linkage setup (stock) to a hydraulic clutch system. As most of you know I drag race my '62 and was wondering if any of you racers have done this conversion. If you have how is it working out for you? American Powertrain makes a system that looks good to me. I'm just looking for some input. Thanks
I have a McLeod hydraulic throw out bearing on my Nova race car, my car is not finished yet so the juries no in on how it works. Looks to be a quality part and is transmission specific, it replaces the front bearing retainer. They make kits for different cars that have all the lines, brackets and master cylinder that just bolt on.

ragtp66

Well Known Member
Over time as the clutch wears you do have to yank the trans to adjust the air gap on the hydraulic release bearing probably not a big deal unless you are on the dragstrip a LOT. Just something to be aware of. Obviously as the clutch wears the gap will change. Unfortunately aside from changing shims there is no other way to adjust it.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Cousin Jim has run a hydraulic clutch in this Belair since the car was built by Lamar in 95 until he retired from racing. He was always happy with it.

View attachment 77552

Didn't Jim use a clutchless shift transmission in the Belair?? I was always under the impression the hydraulic system was a bit slow reacting for power shifting a clutch assist trans. I don't really have the absolute answer here, but I use manual linkage. ( 3/4 round tube links with heim joints) no spindly rods here.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Does Crazy Cousin Jim still have this car??????

Yep! Are you interested????

Didn't Jim use a clutchless shift transmission in the Belair?? I was always under the impression the hydraulic system was a bit slow reacting for power shifting a clutch assist trans. I don't really have the absolute answer here, but I use manual linkage. ( 3/4 round tube links with heim joints) no spindly rods here.

He did Dave. Ran a G-force 5 speed. That may be why he never had a problem using the hydraulic clutch. He did run a heads up class until NSRA closed shop.