Hydro boost

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Looking to put hydro boost brake booster on my 62 bel air 409. Anyone know if I will have trouble with valve cover removal once booster is installed?

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Haven’t received it yet but by pictures it seems to stick out farther.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,Plumcrazy[Kurt] has 2.One on his 62 Impala and he just put one on his 65 C10. Removing the valve cover on his 62 is now easier.It has a solid roller cam in it.The C10 runs a hd.roller cam set up in it,so the only need to remove the covers would be due to a gasket leak.

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yes,Plumcrazy[Kurt] has 2.One on his 62 Impala and he just put one on his 65 C10. Removing the valve cover on his 62 is now easier.It has a solid roller cam in it.The C10 runs a hd.roller cam set up in it,so the only need to remove the covers would be due to a gasket leak.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Haven’t received it yet but by pictures it seems to stick out farther.

yes, not that much maybe an inch, inch and a half. But the diameter is smaller and that is what usually interferes with valve cover removal. HOWEVER the performance of a hydro boost is so much better that it would be well worth the extra effort if needed.
I don't sell them but probably should. The red 59 pick up in my avatar has one and it is the best brakes I have ever felt in a old vehicle, all due to the hydro boost.

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
yes, not that much maybe an inch, inch and a half. But the diameter is smaller and that is what usually interferes with valve cover removal. HOWEVER the performance of a hydro boost is so much better that it would be well worth the extra effort if needed.
I don't sell them but probably should. The red 59 pick up in my avatar has one and it is the best brakes I have ever felt in a old vehicle, all due to the hydro boost.

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I put manual 4 wheel disc brakes on a few months ago and am very disappointed with the lack of stopping power. Am hopeful the hydro boost will help.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
yes, not that much maybe an inch, inch and a half. But the diameter
to the hydro boost.

Like Quote Quote
Bookmark
[IMG]http://www.348-409.com/forum/data/avatars/m/6/6872.jpg?1475806585[/IMG]
bwell
Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Today at 4:32 PM
New #10
I put manual 4 wheel disc brakes on a few months ago and am very disappointed with the lack of stopping power. Am hopeful the hydro boost will help.

Like Quote Quote
Bookmark

D
is smaller and that is what usually interferes with valve cover removal. HOWEVER the performance of a hydro boost is so much better that it would be well worth the extra effort if needed.
Kurt says the same thing about his truck.

427John

Well Known Member
That is a common issue with non power disc brake retro fits on cars originally built only with drum brakes.The larger volume of fluid required for disc brake operation requires a larger master cylinder bore for a given stroke,which in turn increases the force needed to generate the hydraulic pressure.Cars that were built with both disc or drum brake systems as options typically had different brake pedal assemblies to match the different systems.The placement of the pivot and pushrod attachment points had different center to center measurements to provide more or less force to the master cylinder.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Pedal ratio is key for manual brakes, I set a hot rod with disc font and drum rear and no power booster, To overcome this I used a 7,2:1 pedal ratio, car stopped on a dime and when pushed had plenty of feel.

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks everyone for the info. I went to a 1 1/8” master cylinder with no noticeable improvement but didn’t think about the impact of the pedal ratio.
At any rate, the booster is on it’s way, I can’t loose by installing it.
Will let you know results.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You're using a 1 1/8" bore master with manual brakes?:yikes You'll never stop with that. That master is for power only, way too big for manual brakes on your car.
You use a 1" bore max for manual with the rod in the upper pedal hole, doesn't matter if 2 or 4 wheel disc brakes.
1 1/8" will be correct with a hydro boost and should go in the lower hole of the pedal

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
went to 1 1/8” at Willwoods suggestion after 1” didn’t work. Since neither has been successful decided to go with hydro boost.
However didn’t change pedal ratio.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
1 1/8" will never work with manual. 1" is perfect, you use in same hole as stock position, You don't change pedal ratio with manual. Pedal ratio is not your problem

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When I tried the 1” first, it didn’t work any differently than the 1 1/8”.
It’s been impossible to lock up the brakes with either size.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I have had better luck with 7/8" or 15/16" depending on calipers. Also, I have had zero luck with those brass GM style valves, so I try to stick with all Wilwood stuff now.