Hydro boost

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Switched my drag Camaro to a 15/16" and much better feel than the 1 1/8" was. Pedal switched to upper hole going from power. T 'd the line with a Line lok for fronts and an adjustable proportioning valve in the in rear. Stops me from 127mph so far:) It still needs lots of dialing in at the track thopugh only 8 passes since running.

65 GTO I added manual discs and used a 1" dual reservoir and had good pedal feel. It was manual to begin with so I kept the pedal hole in that location.

My 64 Impala project the previous owners had swapped power on it, and drilled a lower hole in pedal. I'm going to use a 1" 70 Impala MC but have not got it moving yet.

Pedal ratio for power vs manual is a big deal and often based on booster effeciency. In fact the 1979-81 Trans Am 4 WD set up used a smaller 9" dual diaphragm booster than the disc/drum 11" single and the factory reduced the ratio even more. When I swapped them on my 78 I kept the disc/drum pedal-stopped good had no feel until I used the correct pedal. All of the second gen F bodies used a 1" from manual disc/drum and the higher hole for more ratio an pedal. Usually most manual setups shoot for 6:1.

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
smaller bore = higher pressure = less volume
larger bore = lower pressure = higher volume

I tend to use 1" bore master cylinders, have had no trouble on both assisted and unassisted systems, try to get about 1400 psi for disk and about 500 psi for drum in conjunction with a proportioning valve with a mixture of disc and drum, I tend to use OEM brakes off of wrecks.

Mike might be able to supply more accurate technicalities.

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
For reference, on a '59 the valve cover clearance is reduced with the Hydro-boost. I don't think any of the aftermarket aluminum valve covers would work.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi Bwell!

Sorry just seeing this and if you need any help or pics of the install, just let me know. I can tell you for sure that this is the single biggest night and day difference i've ever had with our rides. Its not a small change, it was INSTANTLY amazing when we swapped out our brakes on both the truck and car.

The 62, car, the cam wouldnt let us build the vacuum we needed and for a while took the cheap path with a elec pump/tank hidden under the fender to give the vacuum to the booster. If we were coasting down a long hill touching the brakes on and off, you would get more and more squishy, but with the hydro boost, forget it, instantly feels like modern race car. In fact, i think the breaks in these to 1960 vehicles feel better than our Dodge Demon, no exaggeration, just the TRUTH! We have Willwood 6 piston on the front of the car and truck with 4 piston on on both the backs...

The install was fairly simple and happy to help in any way...

20190530_145235.jpg

20190612_073420.jpg

20180914_123500.jpg

20171217_091259.jpg

bwell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
plumcrazy,
Thanks for your response, I am still waiting delivery of my unit. I'm sure I'll be reaching out to you when I start installation. I already had a willwood master cylinder so I only bought the hydro boost unit. I'll need hew hoses and fittings, and will probably need advise there.
Thanks again

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
plumcrazy,
Thanks for your response, I am still waiting delivery of my unit. I'm sure I'll be reaching out to you when I start installation. I already had a willwood master cylinder so I only bought the hydro boost unit. I'll need hew hoses and fittings, and will probably need advise there.
Thanks again

You bet, happy to help... Look at that pic i posted above with the parts in the bed of the truck.. Its EXACTLY the parts I used and you will need if you already have the PS pump.

The place i bought my hydroboost is linked below and were really easy to work with. If your smart, you will ping them on ebay not their site and save a few bucks. https://www.performanceonline.com/hydro-boost-power-brake-boosters-58-64-chevy-impala/

In particular, you'll need the lines for the hookup. You can buy theirs, or, you go to a local tractor fitting shop, you should be able to make a custom set for a lot less. There really isnt anything too special other than the one line thats high pressure, so if you need a psi spec, let me know. For fittings, again, look at that pic and youll be set. If you want any closeups let me know...

Last edited: