I am supersonny409

I am new to the club and back in the day we used to run 09's in 55 & 57 Chevy's. They would really hook up with 4 spd and posi rears. Best run was 11.89 in the 55 over 35 years ago on east coast strips. As you can tell I am a old guy, but still have a love for the old 409's. I currently own a 64 Imp SS with 409/4spd posi rear and is currently under construction. This is a highly optioned car with the 340HP 09, factory air, PS, PB, Pwr wdo, tilt wood wheel, AM-FM and tinted glass. Purchased this car in 1968 and discovered that the previous owner modified the engine. It had an GM alum intake with the 400 HP AFB, dual point distributor and the cam was a regrind 425 HP. It is polamar red with black SS interior.
I also own a 62 Chev Imp 2dr H/T. Originally a 6 cyl replaced with a hot 327, 4spd, posi rear. Car was totally restored and my original plan was to install a complete 409 engine, in need of a rebuild, which I purchased, but later sold to have body work performed. I am still seeking a 409/425 engine for the 62. Looking forward to exchanging stories and ideas on the real fine 409's.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
My dream is to locate the 55 Chevy again.

:shock1

Just yesterday there was an auction just north of Elkton, MD that included a number of race parts and a 55 Chevrolet with a racing background! When I saw your post I went and looked for the listing again on the off chance that may have been a lead! Cant' find it now that the auction is over. Did the engine go to PA or the body?

The 409 engine was built to AW GO. It was a 62 block bored 030 with a 427 steel crank to increase the stroke. Had a special Isky roller cam ( I think it was a 505C) which was the numbers on the doors. Later we replaced it with a 550 super Legerra cam. The heads were completely redone by the House of Balance ie Coleman Bros in Md. Had a pr of reworked Lg AFB's. I think they were the old 3783S and Hooker headers. One of a kind engine back in the day.