I can't believe I purchased a 409

Bubpster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Last weekend was the 3 day Hotrod Reunion here in Bakersfield, CA at Fomosa dragstrip. While going thru the swap meet, I saw a hemi and a 409 in the back of this guys pickup. I inquired of the 409 and he said it was running and was out of a 1964 Impala. It has the QC code still on the block. Several guys were looking it over too. The motor only lacks the flywheel and fan..that's it. I asked what the price was and he said $2800. I gave him a deposit and returned with the balance a few hours later. It has chrome valve covers and air cleaner. I took two pictures of it still on the truck but can not post the picture today since my daughter has my camera out of town. Will this look too odd to put into my '62 BelAir since it is a 1964 motor?

Dennis

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bubpster said:
I asked what the price was and he said $2800. I gave him a deposit and returned with the balance a few hours later. It has chrome valve covers and air cleaner. Will this look too odd to put into my '62 BelAir since it is a 1964 motor?

Dennis

You can stick it in your 62 BelAir OR sell it to me and I'll stick it in MINE.....:roll

Why can't I ever find something like that..... :dunno

Congrats !!!!! Get started right a way and post some pictures... :clap :)

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Dennis, Congratulations on a good buy. Sounds like you walked up to the right place at the right time. Im always 5 min. late. What are your plans? Pull the heads and pan? Or will you gamble on it " as is"? Best of luck with it.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
very good deal

Fabulous deal on the engine Dennis......... :clap I paid $3200 for a sweet running, low mileage truck engine & I thought I got the deal of the year.........

That 409 will fit anything you want ........ if you want to steal the show !!

Dave

Bubpster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Forum

Yes, sometimes we get lucky! I guess it was FINALLY my turn. I plan to put it into my BelAir Sports Coup I purchased from Bill Scott, Medina, OH two yrs ago. I litterally have everything to start the restoration but can not do so for at least a year. It will be a 4 sp. car. I plan to let the 409 set for now then rebuild it later. I don't know about stealling the show, I think stealling the 409 was enough for a while. Thanks!!! Great site guys. I have been following your comments for two years but felt a little distance since all I had was a 327 to work with. I will try to post a few pictures of the 409 still in the back of this guys pickup just before he unloaded it. The pictures will come a little later. Thanks again!!!

Dennis

Bubpster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
409 Pictures (I hope)

Hope this works. First time ever to post a picture/s

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
62 Belair

Dennis:

Nice scoop on the 409 purchase!

Hey, tell me more about this Bill Scott from Medina, OH. Is he a member of this Forum? I think I may have had a conversation with him at some point in the past. I hope the transplant into that '62 goes well :).

Best,
TomK

Bubpster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bill Scott is a member of this forum for years. He is a great guy to talk to and deal with. He turned me to this site after I purchased the car from him. He has something to do with chevymusclecars.com. He has a 409 to put into a '62 sedan. When I start cutting this car apart, I will keep pictures going. That's always fun for the form. I will however, be asking many questions along the way since I am only small block oriented. Thanks again everyone for your input!!!

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
Congradulations! Nice find. All I have is a truck 409, but I'm happy with it. Stupid question: That looks like a generator bracket in the picture, shouldn't a 64 have had an alternator? Just curious.

Bubpster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Oldtrknut

You are correct. It should be an alternator from 1964. However, the guy I purchased the motor from did not pull it from a 1964 Impala, it was pulled out of a truck of some kind. He said it was being used in the farming area. He purchased the truck just for the motor. Yes, the bracket is for a generator so it probably had a generator on it at some time (he included the starter with the sale).

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Famoso

How was the Reunion this year? Sure wanted to go, but my buddy I went with to the reunion and lived out there passed away a year ago. The reunion is a lot of fun if you can stay on the pit side. Never saw so many flies as there are on the spectator side. A fun place to go. The March meet is also good. Been to that, too. Don't remember as many flies in March!!!!!!!!!!!

Bubpster

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The reunion was great. The flys are from almond hulls that are piled mtn high across the strip. I will attempt to attach a picture of the factory stamped pad of the motor. Maybe someone can respond with the meaning of the letter/numbers.
Thanks!!!

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
darned flies

Yeah, I know where they come from. As much food as they have in those piles, why do they come over to the track and try to eat FLESH?????????? We finally discovered OFF would keep them away, and you could also put some water out and they would go to that. Got some relief after we figured all that out!!!!!!!!

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
SS425HP said:
Yeah, I know where they come from. As much food as they have in those piles, why do they come over to the track and try to eat FLESH?????????? We finally discovered OFF would keep them away, and you could also put some water out and they would go to that. Got some relief after we figured all that out!!!!!!!!

HMmmm...reminds me of Joey Dipillo
:brow