I.D. 348

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Pulled the motor out of the storage shed to prep it for the '58 Impala install.
The numbers on the passenger side boss are T0503G. I pulled the motor out of a '60 Wagon but don't know if it's original to the wagon. What year and hp is this motor?

I want to install a 350 or 400 turbo but how do I deal with the starter being it originally bolted to the bell housing? The block doesn't have mounting threaded bolts holes.

IMG_3281.jpgIMG_3283.jpgIMG_3292.jpg

Last edited:

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
The reason I asked is because it had a 3 speed transmission bolted to it.

I'll check underneath to check out the holes for the starter whether or not they're threaded.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I've got the same short block,a 250 horse 60,as well as a 250 horse 59 block.Both are drilled.Are you sure that you're looking in the right place?

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've got to clean the area but pretty sure where the starter is suppose to be.
I'm waiting for a gasket set due next week then will mount the motor on an engine stand then take the valve covers and pan off to see how bad the gunk is. May even pull the heads off too.

IMG_3297.jpg

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
As mentioned, the three holes are threaded.
I mounted the 348 on the engine stand (thx to my J.Deere tractor), cleaned the pad and chased the threads with a tap.
I was able to turn the crank over so I'll remove the pan and intake manifole and inspect.

Thx to all who replied. :good.

IMG_3312.jpgIMG_3315.jpg

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Make sure you use starter bolts and not just any 3/8" bolts for your starter. Starter bolts are knurled at the end just below the threads and have a washer head, the knurled portion of the bolt goes up into the the block about a 1/4" in the untapped area. It also fits snug in the top of the hole on the starter housing. Those bolts are still available from Chevrolet as I just bought 4 last week, 4 bolts were $11.54 with tax. Make sure before you crank the bolts down you run them up into the block until they bottom out and mark them with a sharpie, then stick them through your starter and see if they need to be trimmed off a little. I had to cut 1/4" off mine as the bolt was 4-1/4" long.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Make sure you use starter bolts and not just any 3/8" bolts for your starter. Starter bolts are knurled at the end just below the threads and have a washer head, the knurled portion of the bolt goes up into the the block about a 1/4" in the untapped area. It also fits snug in the top of the hole on the starter housing. Those bolts are still available from Chevrolet as I just bought 4 last week, 4 bolts were $11.54 with tax. Make sure before you crank the bolts down you run them up into the block until they bottom out and mark them with a sharpie, then stick them through your starter and see if they need to be trimmed off a little. I had to cut 1/4" off mine as the bolt was 4-1/4" long.
Do you have the part number on those bolts you ordered? The parts counter at my place can be testy about looking up things.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My wife won't trust me with a credit card let alone a debit card.
But I don't tell her about my "Mad" money I stash in a shoe box. :D

I once worked with a guy that had been married for years that he claimed had never once deposited his check. He would always first cash it, hold out a certain amount ($200 when I met him) then deposit the cash. He told me that this way she never knew how much he made and what he had. I asked about tax time. He said she doesn't do them or understand them either, just signs. I always wondered how that relationship turned out.:dunno

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I once worked with a guy that had been married for years that he claimed had never once deposited his check. He would always first cash it, hold out a certain amount ($200 when I met him) then deposit the cash. He told me that this way she never knew how much he made and what he had. I asked about tax time. He said she doesn't do them or understand them either, just signs. I always wondered how that relationship turned out.:dunno
I'am guessing it turned out great he had things under control :gamer

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
As mentioned, the three holes are threaded.
I mounted the 348 on the engine stand (thx to my J.Deere tractor), cleaned the pad and chased the threads with a tap.
I was able to turn the crank over so I'll remove the pan and intake manifole and inspect.

Thx to all who replied. :good.

View attachment 83929View attachment 83930
What series is your John Deere???? Mine is a 2032. Looks smaller but very good in the yard.