I Found It!

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Great stuff. That clears up, alot of questions, without answers, that I've had. Thank you Cecil.:clap:clap:bow

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
:cool::cool:
Finally, after much research, I found the 61 production data revised Feb. 61 including the AMA Specs and a special supplement for the SS option and 409. Just about all the factory data you could want.

http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/docs/Chevrolet/1961-Chevrolet.pdf

Other years are available also at the GM Heritage Center website:

http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html

:deal:D

Cecil, Thanks so much for posting this.So much for Barret/Jackson knowing what they are talking about. They stated that the '72 Monte Carlo was not available with an LS5. Well, I had one, and when I heard that I began trying to locate it to get it back. Based on what the original owner told me I thought maybe it was a one of deal. Now it doesn't bother me that I had to sell it. Although I wish I still had it. I don't understand the listing of only 270 HP for the LS5???:scratch:dunno

:crazy

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Ray,in 1971 GM went to the "net hp rating'system.The ls5 in 1970,with a 10 to one compression on the "gross rating'system they used in those and eariler engines was around 345hp.This was on a blue printed engine with no accesories installed and headers.Your 72 had 8.5 compression,exhaust manifolds,most likely a retarded timing chain set-[same cam as the 325hp 396],and "smog"tuning .There is most likely the difference in the hp numbers.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ray,in 1971 GM went to the "net hp rating'system.The ls5 in 1970,with a 10 to one compression on the "gross rating'system they used in those and eariler engines was around 345hp.This was on a blue printed engine with no accesories installed and headers.Your 72 had 8.5 compression,exhaust manifolds,most likely a retarded timing chain set-[same cam as the 325hp 396],and "smog"tuning .There is most likely the difference in the hp numbers.

Just like the dissapointment I felt in 71 when the new Corvette I ordered was only rated at 270hp (350, 4 spd).:grumble:

Ray, I have a buddy here that has an original Monte SS 454 for sale minus engine. I can't remember the year exactly, but I think it's a 70.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just like the dissapointment I felt in 71 when the new Corvette I ordered was only rated at 270hp (350, 4 spd).:grumble:

Ray, I have a buddy here that has an original Monte SS 454 for sale minus engine. I can't remember the year exactly, but I think it's a 70.

Thanks Cecil, I'm not looking now, if I were that 61 impala of yours would have been gone.

raymar58409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

Thanks Don, I thought of that later (net hp). :doh

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey Bob I agree with Mike

:clap Bob can we make this a sticky? Its really great info that I think most of us go to on a regular basis.
Thank You

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10