I have a bare frame. 1964 Impala SS.

djnutcase

I find this site informative and interesting, so I'm posting here.

My 1964 Impala SS frame is freshly steam cleaned, waiting for sandblasting. I found this interesting stamp. Any ideas?

By the way, since I have a bare frame if anyone wants pictures, measurements, etc...I am happy to share.

Attachments

• 20190317_174809.jpg
    20190317_174809.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 88

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Steel company provider. Not GM stamp is my guess. I worked at Maytag in sheet metal for a couple years. They weren't worried about someone else's inspection stamp if it was never seen. Did you find the vin number of the car? I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the one on the frame. I had to hunt one down once for DOT inspection. Not fun with body on frame.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Also keep in mind the location of the stamp vs where the frame would have been in the assembly process. If you could reach that spot with the body on the frame then who knows. If you would only reach that with the body off of the frame then I would suggest that a few other members with frames off should check as well. Can you post a picture from a few feet back for us to understand its location better? I will be getting a 1964 frame soon and will check the location at that time.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Its a uniform stamp. Setting perfectly in the middle of the section. I'm going to go crawl under my wagon and rub its belly with some sand paper and find out if I have a magic stamp. I'll get back to you tomorrow.