I just acquired the better part of a 348

427John

Well Known Member
Building a W engine is something you will have to want to do because you want that engine in your car for a long term deal,its not something you can do thinking you can flip it and make money off it if your project changes direction.While they are harder to find and desirable,those same traits make the missing parts harder to find and more expensive,the normal rebuild parts are little more expensive to boot.Unless you can get the cores for a smoking deal and can do a lot of the work yourself or get a machine shop you trust that has really reasonable rates,the cost of building the engine can easily equal any potential selling price.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Here is my take on it, when you build a "Hot Rod" the engine is the focal point (heart and sole) of the whole car other wise its just a car with a nice paint job. I love small blocks as they are dependable and can make great horsepower for a relatively small amount of money, BUT they are not eye candy like a W, Hemi, Nailhead, Flatty, or a FE motor. So my question is why do people spend so much money on their car and then put a $500 small block with chrome rocker covers and a aluminum intake in it when the engine should be the most important part of their "Hot Rod"? Personally I would go the extra mile and put the W motor in it even if you don't go to car shows. It should give you a thrill when you step on the gas just knowing you have something totally different than anyone else, and personal satisfaction! Also you got to love these old motors, I have always wanted a 409 ever since the early 60's when they were around. A 409 (W motor) and a Hemi are the 2 most identifiable engines at a glance ever made.

b1bomber

Here is my take on it, when you build a "Hot Rod" the engine is the focal point (heart and sole) of the whole car other wise its just a car with a nice paint job. I love small blocks as they are dependable and can make great horsepower for a relatively small amount of money, BUT they are not eye candy like a W, Hemi, Nailhead, Flatty, or a FE motor. So my question is why do people spend so much money on their car and then put a $500 small block with chrome rocker covers and a aluminum intake in it when the engine should be the most important part of their "Hot Rod"? Personally I would go the extra mile and put the W motor in it even if you don't go to car shows. It should give you a thrill when you step on the gas just knowing you have something totally different than anyone else, and personal satisfaction! Also you got to love these old motors, I have always wanted a 409 ever since the early 60's when they were around. A 409 (W motor) and a Hemi are the 2 most identifiable engines at a glance ever made.

agreed

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
When we were looking for a motor to put in my brothers 57 F100, he suggested a 351 Windsor. I told him it is his truck to get what he wants. I mentioned there is a lot of parts for those motors and they are cheaper than some to build, however I also said, what do you want to see when you open that hood? For me, there are a few choices for Fords ( besides letting them reside in the wrecking yard :D ) I suggested a mid 60's 390 right off. I agree with Steve that the motor is an important part of the car or truck. Depending how I was going to drive that Merc, I would put in a hopped up flatty, or FE, maybe a Y block backed by an AOD with some 22" or smaller glasspacks like I had in my 54 Merc.

b1bomber

I wanted to publicly thank Don for the hour long phone conversation ,what a wealth of knowledge and just a great conversation about gearhead stuff in general . I hope you got my email buddy .I will be researching everything you told me to look into
Thanks again

Last edited:

b1bomber

When we were looking for a motor to put in my brothers 57 F100, he suggested a 351 Windsor. I told him it is his truck to get what he wants. I mentioned there is a lot of parts for those motors and they are cheaper than some to build, however I also said, what do you want to see when you open that hood? For me, there are a few choices for Fords ( besides letting them reside in the wrecking yard :D ) I suggested a mid 60's 390 right off. I agree with Steve that the motor is an important part of the car or truck. Depending how I was going to drive that Merc, I would put in a hopped up flatty, or FE, maybe a Y block backed by an AOD with some 22" or smaller glasspacks like I had in my 54 Merc.

Understood and thanks for your input ,I just sold a Tudor with a flatty .I do not want another flatty in this build .The car has been modified to run a 700 r (gearstar from Zach) and an 8.8" rear . I like 390 but I scored this w motor and dig it , just needed the insight from the pros on its design and actually what I acquired .if I did it from scratch again I would still go this route unless I did a hemi route . this is a sled the hood will rarely get opened unless I had a w or hemi in it . make of motor vs this build is meaningless to me ,its based on what I want personally honestly.

Thanks for your input I appreciate it . also I have a 1976 Sanger hydro hot boat Vdrive with a 502 ford tunnel ram 2x4 with cobra jet aluminum heads around 700 hp . it was not easier to go that route believe me in the bbc scene . its a firkin beast 100mph easy 6" off the water I love fords and drive an f350 7.3 everyday . I had a Cleveland in a Torino yrs ago I like that too .

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Understood and thanks for your input ,I just sold a Tudor with a flatty .I do not want another flatty in this build .The car has been modified to run a 700 r (gearstar from Zach) and an 8.8" rear . I like 390 but I scored this w motor and dig it , just needed the insight from the pros on its design and actually what I acquired .if I did it from scratch again I would still go this route unless I did a hemi route . this is a sled the hood will rarely get opened unless I had a w or hemi in it . make of motor vs this build is meaningless to me ,its based on what I want personally honestly.

Thanks for your input I appreciate it . also I have a 1976 Sanger hydro hot boat Vdrive with a 502 ford tunnel ram 2x4 with cobra jet aluminum heads around 700 hp . it was not easier to go that route believe me in the bbc scene . its a firkin beast 100mph easy 6" off the water I love fords and drive an f350 7.3 everyday . I had a Cleveland in a Torino yrs ago I like that too .
Wow you touched on another love of mine, V drive flat bottom boats. I still have a 17' Delta flat bottom V drive that Ive had for years with a small block chevy in it. This boat has been sitting in a garage for years and I always toyed with the idea of putting a 409 in it so much that I bought all the V hardware (exhaust manifolds and engine mount) for a 409 some years back. Anymore I don't have the energy to put it back together so I told my son he could have it and I would give him a 409 for it. Man was that boat a lot of fun, it was a go cart on water!! I always thought it would be cool with a scallop paint job, 6-2bbl set up and being towed with my 62 409 Impala.

b1bomber

Wow you touched on another love of mine, V drive flat bottom boats. I still have a 17' Delta flat bottom V drive that Ive had for years with a small block chevy in it. This boat has been sitting in a garage for years and I always toyed with the idea of putting a 409 in it so much that I bought all the V hardware (exhaust manifolds and engine mount) for a 409 some years back. Anymore I don't have the energy to put it back together so I told my son he could have it and I would give him a 409 for it. Man was that boat a lot of fun, it was a go cart on water!! I always thought it would be cool with a scallop paint job, 6-2bbl set up and being towed with my 62 409 Impala.
I hear ya here's a pic of my hotboat
1584315610616.jpeg

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1