I just acquired the better part of a 348

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Your hp goals can be met in the 5-6000 range.I'd suggest a show Cars 0950 or 0951 hyd.flat tappet cam,a 409 crank[2-300 dollars in core form],Kb I con piston for the 4 inch stroke crank,you've already got the 3-2's,bigger valves[160 dollars] and bowl work on your existing 379's,6.385 rods[about 350.dollars],as a base line.What you have now would have a core value of 1,000 -1200 dollars only because you have the 3-2's if the 3-2 set up has the correct carbs.

427John

Well Known Member
350 hp is not an unreasonable goal for even a 348" it will just take fairly high state of tune,Don should be able to fix you up with the recipe ,a tip if you decide to go with the stock stroke route ,the standard BBC rod is a direct replacement and an upgrade over the stock rods.Don's posts #4 & #10 gives the recipe for a 380" stoker that will exceed your goals.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I would guess the block is worth 6 to 800 bucks if it is build able.
The consent is the heads are door stops.
Going with a 409 crank and longer rods is an easy upgrade to get to your H/P wants. 409 crank sell in the 300 dollar range.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I remember attending the presentation by Lamar Walden in KC back in 2004 at the First Convention Phil put together. He referred to the 333s as "door stops" :) :) :). Of course he was talking about 409 heads, and at that time he had the only aluminum sets of hiperf heads, so in a relative way, he was correct. I'm still hopelessly in love with the factory iron 690s and 583s. And I have respect for those 333s and their potential :).

I would guess that Lamar thought even less about those 379s, if he even thought of them. But that is from a horsepower perspective. Sometimes just having some "W" parts makes it all OK. In rank order of lack of importance, I would put the truck distributor, then the truck intake, the 379s and lastly those 2" center dumps in the class of "door stops" :). Truth be known, I actually use those center dumps as a door stop, they work great :) :) :). I guess repurposing that governed truck distributor as a oil priming tool improves it's prospects... Some might want to put the 348 crank in that list as well?

Hope no one takes this as "348 bashing" . For the record I think I possess the lowest level of "W" made, an 011 casting 348 truck block with double notches, no ArmaSteel mains, stock crank and rods, 379 heads and who knows what cam. But it does have aftermarket cast pistons :) :) :).

Cheers! TomK

427John

Well Known Member
I think the old saying one man's trash is another man's treasure applies more to W's than most other engine types.This scenario reminds me of Wendell Scott talking about one of the best 427 Ford cams he ever had was one he dug out the trash can in the holman moody team pits after a race.

b1bomber

So basically what I have is essentially worthless. unless I spend the money to have the block cleaned and magnefluxed including the trip power setup ? thast disappointing I was hoping if I didn't use it someone here may have some use for it at a fair price .I thought I found something cool. Im more of a Harley guy honestly having motors from 1927 up and anything pre 65 commands top dollar . I figured if I didn't build it personally someone here would want it . such is life I having given a dime for it yet so, I was waiting for some values before I made him an offer

b1bomber

Your hp goals can be met in the 5-6000 range.I'd suggest a show Cars 0950 or 0951 hyd.flat tappet cam,a 409 crank[2-300 dollars in core form],Kb I con piston for the 4 inch stroke crank,you've already got the 3-2's,bigger valves[160 dollars] and bowl work on your existing 379's,6.385 rods[about 350.dollars],as a base line.What you have now would have a core value of 1,000 -1200 dollars only because you have the 3-2's if the 3-2 set up has the correct carbs.
The carbs are listed above

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Not worthless at all!

You have a good block, the most desirable factory intake for the 348, and a great basis for a rebuild :).
Locate a 409 crank, order some over-the-counter rods and KB-Ikon pistons and you'll have a solid bottom end. Then score some 333s and have them rebuilt, add your tripower and you have both a visually compelling build with ample torque and horsepower.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Aha, I see you have yet to acquire the components. Might we ask what he's asking, maybe we can help you out there. Get it at the right price (fair) and proceed from there. If he's asking you to make an offer, we can help there as well.

Good luck! TomK

catdoctor

Well Known Member
I admit I made some mistakes in my build. I found the site a little late in my build process. A lot of useful knowledge here. I built a solid short block stock stroke 348. Eagle rods, Ross pistons balanced the assembly. Quality bearings, timing chain and gears oil pump etc, all nice parts. Cam is 268 duration with 481 lift on both exhaust and intake 212 duration @ .050 . My block is non spark no pads for cooling passage so the heads are the early heads without the cooling passage. All parts are dated coded l 57 or a 58. I sure would have done differently with the heads but I had already spent the money for a quality head rebuild on them. I console myself with the thought I’m too old to race, I’m more into the sound of the engine and yes maybe spin a tire now and then. I did score some eye candy in the 3780540 intake the correct carb 3012s and the g m dual snorkel air cleaner. All November 61 parts, Motor was sit in the 56 Chevy the other day. I’m pleased.

Attachments

• E9EF0027-7158-4966-B1AB-E7EACA029F5B.jpeg
    E9EF0027-7158-4966-B1AB-E7EACA029F5B.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 35

b1bomber

Aha, I see you have yet to acquire the components. Might we ask what he's asking, maybe we can help you out there. Get it at the right price (fair) and proceed from there. If he's asking you to make an offer, we can help there as well.

Good luck! TomK

I was told $600-800 for the block ,heads are essentially door stops and I didn't get an idea on the trip power . I don't have an unlimited budget and 6k would be pushing it with the pumps .I,m on the fence does anyone have a w expert builder in the Bay Area of California or above the area .

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was told $600-800 for the block ,heads are essentially door stops and I didn't get an idea on the trip power . I don't have an unlimited budget and 6k would be pushing it with the pumps .I,m on the fence does anyone have a w expert builder in the Bay Area of California or above the area .

Being that I grew up in the "Bay Area" the first thing I learned when I left was you have to let people know its the SF Bay Area. I had guys say, yea I grew up there too. Only it was another Bay Area, often in another state :D So, I cannot think of anyone close to the SF Bay Area right now for machine work. You said you were a couple hours north of the bay, so I can only guess if your inland or on the coast. However, there is a place you might want to check out in Chico ( https://vintagehotrod.com/ ) for machine work prices.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The intake is worth a few bucks, the carbs are worth something if they are tri power carbs. Need pics of them, the correct ones have a choke on the center carb and none on the ends. Is the linkage there?

Other than a juiced flathead in that merc, which may cost you more, the 348-409 will draw more eyeballs, but the W would be better, no replacement for displacement.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I would say $500 for the block (assuming it's crack free and can be rebuilt), maybe $100 for the 348 crank, maybe $150 for the 379 heads, $750 - $1000 for the tripower setup (assuming correct carbs and linkage), $150 if it has a passenger distributor, not much for the intake and a carb. Add $500 if he has the tripower air cleaner but most of those got tossed.

I'd offer the guy $1000 and see what he says... You said it was in a pile of engines, so he mustn't have thought much of it...

In the old days we used to pay $1 per cubic inch at the bone yard for an engine that ran :). Cores went for $50...

Good luck! TomK

b1bomber

The intake is worth a few bucks, the carbs are worth something if they are tri power carbs. Need pics of them, the correct ones have a choke on the center carb and none on the ends. Is the linkage there?

Other than a juiced flathead in that merc, which may cost you more, the 348-409 will draw more eyeballs, but the W would be better, no replacement for displacement.

Got ya ,im having trouble uploading this week . the carbs are rochester USA one has a vacuum one has a choke assembly and the 3rd is just the carb they have all the carb stuff but not connecting linkage

I understand when everyone says buildable block, but the only way to know is too have is dipped and magnefluxed correct? that really cuts into the 500 bk value .
I completely understand the eye factor , I just sold my chopped 30 Tudor open wheel with a 8ba flatty with high rise thixton and 2 97s . this is in my led sled the hood will rarely be opened .Im not a show guy ,I appreciate when someone notices the amount of time I have in my car which is huge but I don't need trophies and to sit in a chair all day .I get it I grew up in the custom motorcycle world doing it .Its just not my thing anymore ,parking at the show and hanging out and shooting the breeze sure but polishing and having my hood open would rarely happen,

I certainly appreciate the beauty of these motors there killer looking and sound great ! ,unfortunately I don't have 7k to invest in just the motor ,if I did I think I would be searching for a 409 here from one of you guys in the know and spend some more money .Ive built a few SBC and a ton of old Harley engines .I'm smart enough to digress to the pros on the W motors, its obvious they require machine knowledge and wisdom from building many to get that 350 plus hp. I am just nervous i'm going down the rabbits hole just because I have 1500 dollars in parts maybe .