I miss my dad!

El Rat

Well Known Member
Tomorrow is Father's Day. My dad was a decorated WWII vet. He taught me everything I know. He was fairly strict but always reasonable. He kept his word and if he promised something it happened. I could fill this forum with "dad" stories but I'll only bore you with one. When I set off to flat tow my 56 Chevy to the AHRA Winternationals (1963) a distance of 1200 miles or so he said to drain the water and I said, no problem. Well guess what? When I called him all he said was can you fix it? I said yes sir! He said how much money will you need? Well maybe 100.00 can you afford it? He said go to the western union office in globe Arizona and pick up the money. My mom and dad were not wealthy we lived in a trailer park when we moved to Texas for about 5 years before they could afford a house. He never said, I told you so just fix it and win! I miss my dad!

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Tomorrow is Father's Day. My dad was a decorated WWII vet. He taught me everything I know. He was fairly strict but always reasonable. He kept his word and if he promised something it happened. I could fill this forum with "dad" stories but I'll only bore you with one. When I set off to flat tow my 56 Chevy to the AHRA Winternationals (1963) a distance of 1200 miles or so he said to drain the water and I said, no problem. Well guess what? When I called him all he said was can you fix it? I said yes sir! He said how much money will you need? Well maybe 100.00 can you afford it? He said go to the western union office in globe Arizona and pick up the money. My mom and dad were not wealthy we lived in a trailer park when we moved to Texas for about 5 years before they could afford a house. He never said, I told you so just fix it and win! I miss my dad!

Thank you for sharing

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
YES thank you for sharing . I lost my dad in 1969 in a construction accident when I was 6 years old, my uncle and some of my dad's friends carried on the tradition for me. I have a son and a daughter and a grandson and trust me everyday is precious to me. Someday I know I will see my dad again, and the funny thing is my aunt his younger sister has a lot of pictures of his cars and race cars. One of my favorites is the 57 Chevy convertible he had when him and my mom got married. I have all his Navy paperwork from when he served that my mother gave me for keepsakes. He graduated from high school when he was 16 and got a degree in engineering from Rolla Missouri School of Engineering in 2 years , he got a job with Howard construction company in Sedalia Missouri and work there for about nine months when he was injured fatally . I do remember him and you can definitely tell I missed him. I have a few pictures of us together . So my advice to all of you who still have Dad's that are alive give them a hug and a kiss and tell them how much you love them and do something fun with them and you're lucky to have the relationship that you can cherish! Have a happy Father's Day I know I will with my son and daughter.:good:happy:woohoo:dance

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
YES thank you for sharing . I lost my dad in 1969 in a construction accident when I was 6 years old, my uncle and some of my dad's friends carried on the tradition for me. I have a son and a daughter and a grandson and trust me everyday is precious to me. Someday I know I will see my dad again, and the funny thing is my aunt his younger sister has a lot of pictures of his cars and race cars. One of my favorites is the 57 Chevy convertible he had when him and my mom got married. I have all his Navy paperwork from when he served that my mother gave me for keepsakes. He graduated from high school when he was 16 and got a degree in engineering from Rolla Missouri School of Engineering in 2 years , he got a job with Howard construction company in Sedalia Missouri and work there for about nine months when he was injured fatally . I do remember him and you can definitely tell I missed him. I have a few pictures of us together . So my advice to all of you who still have Dad's that are alive give them a hug and a kiss and tell them how much you love them and do something fun with them and you're lucky to have the relationship that you can cherish! Have a happy Father's Day I know I will with my son and daughter.:good:happy:woohoo:dance

Thanks ......!

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Me too, lost my Pop May 7th, 1967 what a GREAT MAN, too this day.

I tell him good morning and good night everyday , today I included Happy Father's Day.

He served in WW1 and WW2 then went on too be a Captian in the Merchant Marines and supported the Korean and Vietnam war with supply support.

Alway's tell the people you love that you love them everyday as tomorrow is not promised.

Happy Fathers day too all, I'll be spending the day at our daughter's along with our son ( in law kids ) and two of our grandkids.

Last edited:

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Lost my Dad in 1986.:( He went into the hospital in May, for a double bypass operation. Was doing pretty well.:appl The day he came home was terrific. :clap We talked about him, going shopping, working in his garden. That night, he got a severe pain, in his stomach.:confused We took him back to the hospital, ER. He laid there for 2 hours, in pain. They didn't want to give him any pain medication, as it would mask the pain. When they finally found a doctor, it was 3:30 in the morning.:dunno2 His doctor operated, and told us, he had a perforated ulcer. He never got better. Two more stomach surgeries.:( He died in July of a Duodenal Ulcer. What did the doctor's do to him, during the heart operation?:dunno Only GOD knows. Looking back, I should have sued them.:bat That's just, not my nature. Love and miss you Dad.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Miss mine also, he was fighting cancer it was just to tough for him, we had to pull the plug. Saddest day of my life.
View attachment 71584
:salute
I remember your dad and I remember going over to his house. I talked to him many times he was a very interesting person. A worldly man to say the least.. if my memory is correct he was a Subaru man, I know your mom is a Subaru woman. I think you might have had something to do with all that.

Last edited: