I Should Stay Away from Swap Meets

425/409ER

Well Known Member
So I went and did it again, went to another swap and found something good. While I was looking at some BBC Eddy heads I spied on the table the dude had a 2X4 setup for a SBC. Did not really need it until I saw the carburetors were of the factory type AFB's. Tuns out the front carb was indeed a 3361S 409 and the rear is either a 3408 or 3362 model. Both are original and the guy said they were factory 327 carbs (ya ok) so I bought the setup for $300 cash and will put some Eddy 600's on the intake and peddle that and get my money back. I also got a brand new 8 AN fuel filter that is an FI Tech for $5 as the guy said it had no filter in it, he was wrong there is one in it so It was a good day. I will get some kits for the carbs and toss the 2 on the 881 intake and run it next year. Hell all I need to find now is the dual 4 air cleaner for like $25 and I will be good to go, LOL.

UPDATE: Look like the choke is gone and the air valves are missing (no biggie) and the rear carb is 3804 me thinks. All in all have enough parts to fix them.

Last edited:

63impalass409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hell of a deal!! I went to a swap meet yesterday and the only thing I found was a worn out rusty crusty 583 single head for 600. It also had two broken exhaust studs , a worn out rounded push rod hole and the valve pockets look like they have been cut down pretty far. Price was firm so it stayed there.

425/409ER

Well Known Member
The vacuum secondary butterfly valves are important for street driving. Racers take them out. And 409's are different from small block carbs. And 409 choke housings are different....now I forgot the number...have to go look!!

The parts I have from the 327 factory Carters look the same. I an thinking of trying to adapt the newer Eddy Electric choke to the rear carb.
I think the former owner took them out thinking he would make it go faster LOL BOG!!!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
All the butterfly valves "look" the same but the weights on each end are definately shaped differently. Of course the weights control the opening of the valves.