Idler pulleys?

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
HI Everyone,
This ones been on my mind for a while. Does anyone know why the 409s had idler pulleys if they didn't have power steering? I know they had the deep groove pulleys to keep from throwing belts at hi RPM, but was the idler pulley part of that equation? Were they there because GM didn't have single deep groove pulleys for use with non-power stering cars?
Also, did any of the high horse 348 engines have idler pulleys?
I am just curious.
Ross

Dan Hunt

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I thought the idler pully only came on 1962 cars.I hope I'm not wrong AGAIN.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think the reason for the idler was that the belt going to the generator, or alternator doesn't contact the water pump pulley very well. It mostly rides over the top. But the lower, more triangulated, position of the idler or power steering causes the belt to make much more contact with the water pump pulley thereby reducing the likelyhood of slippage. I don't know if I'm right on this but that's my guess.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Has anyone ever seen a 62 409 car that came from the factory with power steering? I think it was listed as an option but I think I read in a post somewhere that few, if any, exist. Power steering seems to be a very comon option on 63's and 64 409's. I'm not sure if I've ever seen one without it.

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
The water pump issue makes good sense. There really isn't much contact with the gen belt. 62-65 all had idlers, I think 61 too but I'm not sure.
My friend had a 62 409 SS clone with power steering. I think it was available but I bet most just wanted all the engine and few add-ons.
Ross

bobs409

Administrator
My 63 400hp has one. It was only on the high performance engines.

I think I remember hearing it helped with vibration too but not sure ???

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
My 340hp came with the idler too. I think they were on all 09's without power steering, but not sure about 61-62.
Ron

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
my 63 425 car has one, the original owner took it off new but saved it. i put it back on when car was restored. i was told that the reason for the idler was if it threw the alt belt off, (which was'nt far fetched in those days) the idler belt would still turn the water pump and get you home. i have had this happen.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I'm surprised that 64ss409's 340 hp had a idler pulley. I always thought that Chevrolet used the idler pulley on solid lifter cars that didn't have power steering. This being because the solid lifters gave the capabitly of turning more RPM's and more chance of throwing the belts off. If the car had two belts, the engine had a better chance of living, maybe one would continue to drive the water pump. Just my thoughts
Tommy

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the input guys! I am positive the 62s had idlers. They are a different set up than the 63-65s. My 63 340hp engine has an idler, its been there since day one. I think I've even seen a few truck motor idler pulleys on ebay before. They're different than the car pulleys.
Did any of the solid cam 348s have idler pulleys?
Ross

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Boy, to what lengths a person will go to use the digital camera for a post!!

An hour and a half ago, my new bearing was not pressed in the idler pulley, the balancer was painted but not installed, and none of the pulleys or brackets were painted. Can you smell the fresh Krylon?:)

Ron

Va348

Supporting Member 1
I have a friend that bought order 62 409 HP. He told me it was when you race it to take Gen belt off, and they had a short belt to put on to run water pump. He said the short belt came with car in trunk.

Still has car by the way.

Dale

ed409chevy

Supporting Member 3
idler pulley

The hi-performance 348's had the idler pulley. The cast "V" bracket was different than the 62 in the fact that one side of the "V" had a curve in it. Other than that, they were the same. NHRA rules would not allow you to remove the generator belt (generators rob horsepower), so we ran the belt loose so it would slip. The purpose of the idler was to keep the water pump turning at full speed, because heat is an enemy when drag racing. The deep groove pulleys kept the belt from flying off. I could always tell when my car was running too hot, because performance fell off considerably. This was in 1962 when I was racing my brand new 62 409 coupe. I retired after winning 16 weekends in a row. At least, this is how I used the idler pulley.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Awhhh yes !! Non power steering cars !!!
I get it,,,DUH,,,,
togo.gif