idler pully question

blkss64

Well Known Member
Does a 1965 chevy 409 340 hp have an idler pully and which pullys and blets do you use?
First of all, welcome to the site! I am no expert but might be able to get you started. How is your 65 equipped? Does it have manual steering or power steering?
Does it have air conditioning or not?
If it has no power accessories then yes, it does use an idler pulley and bracket set up. If it has power steering then it does not use an idler set up.
Late 64 and all 65 409s use unique water pumps, pulleys and maybe brackets. The length and size of the water pump is the main difference.
Show Cars Automotive in Minnesota has most 409 parts and information.
Other members here have 65 s with 409s and they would be of better help in this matter. I have a 64 impala.
Best of luck and welcome aboard.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Unless it's a change for 65, only solid lifter non ps high hp engines got the idler. 340 hp, no.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Cecil, my 64 340 non ps came with the idler. I thought 65 might be the same.:dunno

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil, my 64 340 non ps came with the idler. I thought 65 might be the same.:dunno
OK. could be my second mistake. I was under the impression that only the high hp deep groove set ups without PS used the idler.
The 64 Assembly manual is not clear on the issue as it shows the idler and PS bracket on the generic drawing of the L31 and L33 engines with numbered "NOTES" shown but inconveniently and mistakenly left off from the page along with the legend which was edited from the original copy of the manual page. The Notes would probably clear it up.