Igntion problem

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
Ok. well lets see mallory 25 series dual point ign coil. only one point fires, engine starts but dies right away even with full throttle.

Needs to know the point gap?
If a 90 series condenser will cause only one point to fire but not the other on a 25 series dist?

Also the points it has a screw which the round brass fitting on the end of the points wire slides onto then sticks through side of dist which nuts with lock washers goes on which holds the condenser wire and the ground from the coil also. Now if i take and changed it around where the front coil wire was the last to be put on the screw which would put it closest to the case of the dist that point will spark and fire but the other wont, if i dis connect the front point which is firing the rear point will fire but not if the front one is connected, If i put the rear point wire last which would put that closest to the dist case that point will fire but not the other, and im sure you get the idea.

What should i do or look at to solve the problem. I replaced the ign coil/starter harness which is where the problem started at with the engine not starting. it started fine the day before when i ran it before i put the new harness in and with the new oem replacement alternator/starter harness. :cuss

Im about to take and pry the dist loose from the manifold and junk it and get something else cause i blew 30 bucks on points, 40 bucks on a new coil and then 57 on the harness, and 130 on the one for the alternator/headlight, and then 46 on the two battery cables im about to junk the whole lot and say forget it. :bang

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
ok never mind i narrowed it down and im 98% sure the Neutral Safety Switch is gone and is causing the engine to start up and die, and only one point to fire.