Illinois Extortion

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
When I went to Thompson the toll booths were closed going through Chicago. Didn't think anything about it until I received a bill in the mail for three tolls plus $9 each extra for not paying. I sent a check for the total bill after receiving it. Wrote a little note saying something about a Chicago shakedown and them not finding anyone smart enough to man the toll booths. Got another bill in the mail yesterday. The20201206_200827.jpgy probably threw my first check in the trash...probably couldn't read. So am sending another check registered mail with a note about Illinois extortion enclosed and the address attached.:finger:finger

Last edited:

Junky

Well Known Member
In New England, the politicians want to charge people for the right to drive on the roadways. Problem is that they don't understand that these are the United States, and what they are contemplating violates the free passage from one state to another. With the ex pass system, they have come to believe that they can charge for what the federal government gave them for free.. the interstate highways!

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The whole concept of toll roads bewilders me. I would have to believe that the person or corporation claiming to own the road, actually owns every single square foot of that property no matter where it goes. Even if its' an elevated structure. If they don't, then it most likely belongs to the state. Therefore they are getting at least some of the money. If you already pay road taxes either at the pump or through other taxes, your now being taxed again for the same thing. Additionally, I prefer to pay a gas tax so I don't have stop while I am on an interstate or freeway. As for the toll takers, that is just another cost to the road. Now you have to pay their salaries also to drive on roads that I bet you already paid for.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
It’s ridiculous.......If they’re not all going to do it, then none of them should.!!!!!.........if I drive through Illinois, why do I want to pay to help keep their roads in serviceable condition.....??? ...... they don’t have to contribute to the roadways in Wisconsin which I pay taxes for..........Greedy bastards

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The deal withe IL toll roads was there wasn't money to build the new roads. The answer was to add tolls and they promised when the roads were paid for, the tolls would be removed. Of coarse that never happened....its Illinois! Now the tollway system is completely funded by tolls. Nothing from the state budget. So when they need to rebuild these roads, they raise the tolls. Now they discovered they can build new roads by making them part of the tollway so no money has to come out of the fuel taxes and we get more tolls. They now want to rebuild existing roads that are not currently part of the tollway and make them tollways. The worst part is if you live in northeast Illinois like me. There is almost no expressway that isn't a toll road. So I get to pay all the road taxes at the pump, then pay again to use the roads by me. I've been driving to Wisconsin for work lately. $25 bucks in tolls a week.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So if they have a fuel tax, what are they spending the money on if not roads? And if the reply is it isn't enough, than raise that. The state should not impede people's travel and add additional expenses to the road cost with booths, toll takers salaries and benefits, toll booth maintenance, all the bureaucracy like management, oversight etc., etc., etc.,

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Dave, when you send the cheque, add a couple of cents (maybe 5 or 10) to the $ amount, this will cause 10 people to waste their time because you overpaid and the 2 sums did not balance, they will have to consider to send a cheque back to you for the over payment.

Junky

Well Known Member
When the Holland Tunnel was built, it had a toll that was supposed to go away when the tunnel costs had been paid off. Never happened. The tolls keep going into the general fund in most states, and so do the fuel taxes. The government spends the money on whatever they care to, such as welfare, and they keep going back to the well (tolls & taxes) when they need more. We all have to live within our means of wealth, but government doesn't, and there in lies the problem. They keep spending, and kick the can down the road for the next group of people to be old enough to pay off their spending. Seems like every government around the world is in financial trouble.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
That’s exactly the same story for Powerball and mega bucks those lottery funds were supposed to be extra for education now it’s considered part of the program they couldn’t make the budget or the budget that’s in a negative without the money.... they have as much of an understanding of money, as my ex-wife........:crazy

Junky

Well Known Member
When I went to Thompson the toll booths were closed going through Chicago. Didn't think anything about it until I received a bill in the mail for three tolls plus $9 each extra for not paying. I sent a check for the total bill after receiving it. Wrote a little note saying something about a Chicago shakedown and them not finding anyone smart enough to man the toll booths. Got another bill in the mail yesterday. TheView attachment 89239y probably threw my first check in the trash...probably couldn't read. So am sending another check registered mail with a note about Illinois extortion enclosed and the address attached.:finger:finger

They may have received the first payment, and the second notice crossed in the mail. Then they will have 2 payments, and not know what to do with the second one.. Make sure to put a copy of the notice into the envelope, not just a notation on the check. Then get yourself a transponder, and you won't have these headaches.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
What bothers me with the different States having toll roads is that Federal money was used to build and maintain those roads. Their idea is to let the out of Stater's help pay for the roads over and above the tax paid at the pump.

We have no toll roads here in Iowa. The State tax on gas is 30.5 and diesel is 32.5. The Road Use Tax Fund is protected by law, unlike a lot of other states that siphon money from the fund. We're kinda backwards that way....:good Out of the RUTF 47.5% goes to primary roads, 24.5% goes to secondary roads, 8% goes to farm to market roads, and 20% goes to city streets.

FYI it costs $6.95 for a certified letter. :fingerTHEM

Lost in the 60's

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
About 5 weeks ago, I drove from Hudson, WI to Red Lion PA. The only toll booths open along the route was Indiana, they still want the cash in their hand. IL, OH and PA all had signs to NOT stop at the booths and we would be billed by mail. I haven't seen a bill from any of them yet, but if IL adds $9 per booth for not stopping, they won't get a friggen dime more than the tolls and a pic of the sign that said not to stop. And yes, I've considered IL and OH as communist states for 30 years of OTR thru them.
Ha, I just remembered, I drove my Silverado with MN plates and I moved to WI 15 months ago. The Post Office stopped forwarding mail 2 months ago. Maybe their bills were sent back and they can't find me...:D THAT outta piss them off...:p

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Mailed certified letter the 6th, received certification back the 15th. So they received my check this time. I'll be looking at next bank statement to see if they cashed first check.

Junky

Well Known Member
Everything in government is screwed up today. Today, there are no people in the government offices, and most of what they do, can't be done from home for security reasons. Couple that with government not getting the money that they are used to, creates more problems. They keep spending money that they don't have, and the taxes are just not coming in like they used to. Government spending is the problem, not the loss of income. I suggest that there be a moratorium on all government spending, and that all elected officials have to take a 50% pay cut, including those that are getting pension benefits. Some states, when you retire from government service, you get 60 - 90% of you pay in pension, plus your health insurance.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
About 5 weeks ago, I drove from Hudson, WI to Red Lion PA. The only toll booths open along the route was Indiana, they still want the cash in their hand. IL, OH and PA all had signs to NOT stop at the booths and we would be billed by mail. I haven't seen a bill from any of them yet, but if IL adds $9 per booth for not stopping, they won't get a friggen dime more than the tolls and a pic of the sign that said not to stop. And yes, I've considered IL and OH as communist states for 30 years of OTR thru them.
Ha, I just remembered, I drove my Silverado with MN plates and I moved to WI 15 months ago. The Post Office stopped forwarding mail 2 months ago. Maybe their bills were sent back and they can't find me...:D THAT outta piss them off...:p
Those people who used to man the toll booths were home getting paid during all this.