I'm going to try this out.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The weather here has gotten sooooo nice, I've been driving the car and puttin' off the dirty work. The only part I have to buy is the cap brace cover (Strange, Moser, whatever). I will have to fab up the upper control arms. I bought the angled frame mounts from Speedway and that's where I stalled. The axles came with outer bearings that say made in the USA after I paid the rear end guy to install new Delco because I was sure the axles would come with Chinese junk.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Well here is where I'm at. New angle bracket that bolts in the stock place on the crossmember but will get a welded on triangulated bracket. I bolted it up to get a measurement for the upper arms. Bottom brackets from the Chevelle were not going to work no matter what I did. Length and angle were all wrong. I got new lowers from Currie and welded them in position. Have to press some upper bushings in the housing and lift it into position to see what I need for the upper arms. 6 degrees here this morning. Kind of at a hold until it gets a little warmer.

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 178
  • DSCN0003.jpg
    DSCN0003.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCN0004.jpg
    DSCN0004.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 165
  • DSCN0005.jpg
    DSCN0005.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 147

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Nice to see the update. I've been looking forward to one. I know that you had to fabricate the angled bracket that bolts to the crossmember, but where did you get the other piece of that bracket from that the rod end is attached to? It looks to be store bought.

Weather is really weird this year for sure. It was 83 degrees yesterday here in middle GA. (12/6/13) Lots of people were complaining, but I was wishing it would last. Was back to the 60's for a high today and will continue dropping over the next few days.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Bracket is 4x3x.25 angle steel from Metal Superstore. The triangulated bracket is from a Stock Car/Hot rod supplier on Ebay. Heim joint is LH thread and the other end on the housing will be RH thread. I still have to measure for the threaded rods. Then on to the back brace, I have the cast cover with the holes for the rods. Last will be to see where the driveshaft falls.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks. The same 1 piece driveshaft I had built for the stock housing ended up working fine for the '67 Camaro 12 bolt housing in my car. I think there was around a 1/2" difference, but nothing that wasn't okay within the range of the transmission slip yoke.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Allstar track bar and 3" bolt on mount from stock car supply. May not need it if the uppers can be angled enough. Waiting on an upper mount that fits between the rear cover and the center housing. Flat on top to let me weld mount anywhere I need. I comes from the off road guys that build 3 links for more movement.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
There were pics on here a long time ago that showed a Chevelle 12 bolt in an X frame out of an old race car. It used the stock Chevelle housing upper mount "ears" and had fairly long rod ended bars that ran from them down to brackets near the forward postion of the lower control arms at the frame. I can't find them since my last computer crash and can't remember exactly how the front brackets were fabbed for the upper control arms, but do remember the basic design of it. The arms were triangulated this way and I "think" I remember it not having a panhard rod.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hmm. I like the concept but man I swear that looks like one hard hit and you'd end up with a mangled mess. How strong are those thinner bars?

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Jason if you are talking about those bars going to the rear cover, all they are there for is to support the axle tubes. Kinda like a back brace on a Ford 9" (or our stock rearends). With the design Mike's uses you have that support and can still access the rear cover when needed.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Almost all of the parts are for big horsepower circle track cars. The bars from the cover to the axle tubes keep it from bending forward if by chance I get too much traction.

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Interesting. Looking forward to seeing how well it works. Gonna slap some sticky tires on it then?

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Go with the Towel City Models. Buddy here had the Hurst and those things wouldn't balance for shit. Bought the Towel City pie crusts and they work great! Nice looking tire and less expensive too

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Getting ready for a test drive. Had to move the axle supports to the front or get different shocks. Angle on each side of the uppers is 40 degrees so I took the panhard bar off. E-cables fit right on. Tires are close. Front seal on the trans leaks bad so I was going to fix that at the same time. I decided to drive it around a while before the trans comes out. I'm going to fill the trans back up and drive itrear3.jpg rear9.jpg tire11.jpg rear4.jpg rear5.jpg tire12.jpg rear6.jpg rear1.jpg rear10.jpg rear2.jpg . I may have to move the front upper mounts up a couple of inches if I get wheel hop. I never measured everything accurately, so I will get to that when I figure the test ride is good. Not sure if i'm going to reinstall the rear stabilizer bar.