Impala Convention

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"What's with all the Impalas with dog dish covers? Didn't the Impalas come with wheel covers?"

Well.....the Impala's were standard with the dog dish hub caps but the cars that I think you are referring too (the '62 red car and the '64 black car) were Super Sports and SS's did not come with dog dish caps.

I don't know what class each of those cars wound up in, perhaps they were not in a Stock Class. If they were not in a stock class then they could have had what ever hub cap the owner wanted to put on them. In the case of the red '62 409 car, I beleive he was in Restored Stock, perhaps that was the only change which would not have been enough to put him into an Altered Class, if that was the case, they would have left him in the Stock Class and points would have been deducted for incorrect caps.

62BillT

Well Known Member
Tommy,

I was aiming to go, but it just didn't work out. Even tho I figured the drags to be on a week-end day, I was still going make a try of it, but I just read that the drags were actually at Rockingham? That is the first I've heard of it. Doesn't Charlotte have a new dragstrip next to the Stock Car track?

Bill

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
"Doesn't Charlotte have a new dragstrip next to the Stock Car track? "

Bill......Yes they do but there is the issue of money, I don't think the NIA was willing to pay the cost to use that place. Also, the convention was held off of I-77 on the southside of Charlotte, they said it was about an hour and a half from the convention center to Rockingham, it is a good 45 to 50 minutes from the convention center to the Speedway.

As for the drags....I should let Allen fill you in on that :D

62BillT

Well Known Member
Thanks Tommy,

I guess I just got the wrong impression. I had thought the convention was either at the Speedway or very near it. When Drags were mentioned, if just figured it was at the Speedway.

Well I see now that if I did go, I would had needed to add an extra 3 hours to my schedule.

Yeah, I would be interested in more on how the drags went. Allen?

Bill

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Joe Shea & Dooooorthy!!!

When you see the yellow 62 Belair 8-door limo........that is Joe Shea from Dallas. This is the first time I have seen the car done. WOW!!!!!!!! Joe named the car Dorothy because of ALL the dorrs!! I just added some more "o"'s!!!!!!!!
I just about had that car about 20 years ago. I wanted to put a 409 4-speed in it so bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap:bow:bow:roll:roll:roll:cool::cool:

Nice to see that Joe got it done.