Impala question

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
What price range could i expect for a 1962 to 1963 impala 2dr in need of restoration?

I found a couple in the junkyard where i buy parts that need trunk pans,ect but didnt ask what he wanted for them but just wondering what would be a fair price for a impala that would need everything redone including body rust repair and a engine maybe transmission also not sure if the one i saw had a transmission and engine or not but im thinking bout getting a 62 or 63 impala 2dr hrdtp or convertible the one i was looking at was a convertible but wasnt much there. Im going to give in to temptation and seek out a 409 and join the 409 owner club if possible. I might be willing to sell off the mercury i got for little to nothing to get a fair to good shaped one with everything there.

To describe the one i was looking at, it had no top just the frame work for it, no seats no carpets, no gauge pod, no steering wheel. column was there. trunk pan was completly rusted out sunk into the ground just about level with the bottom not sure if the bottom is rusted on the frame or not and not sure if it has a engine or not. If someone can be kind enough to give me their opinion about what price sounds reasionable will be of great help. Thanks in advance

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
My son got a complete (all the parts) 62 wagon from a salvage yard for about $500 but that was the state law. Had to sell for the same cost they paid for it. They did not have time to start parting it out when he asked about it.

Dave

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
just wondering due to the fact i asked about a shoebox over there and it was in simmilar shape but has a interior and he wanted 5 grand for it.

Also Dq why dont you grow up and act like an adult. You are worse than a child with how you act. you didnt have anything to say related to this topic but yet you still posted.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
welll, Just as I said,,,,
I was posting that about the opinions on the price of a bucket of rust !!!:evil

Belair63...
I did a little research on the subject.
With all the "options" you mentioned, the value of that field-car would be:

If delivered, rolling on 4 good radial tires...
it should be worth between $11.00 & $16.00

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Jeeze, if we all grew up and acted like adults I'm afraid there wouldn't be anyone to post on this site! "Big toys for big boys :stooges .

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Seriously, though...

To answer his original question about an incomplete salvage-type 1962 convertible, my guess is not very much at all. Sure, most of what you need initially can come from a donor car, but the labor involved in a total restoration is unbelievable (don't get me started!). It seems worth it for solid cars, maybe rare cars, certainly convertibles, but you will need to have tons of $$$s to throw at it in order to make it right.

The convertibles have unique frames, top mechanisms, seats, all kinds of parts that do not come from donors. Perhaps the car you mention is worth something as a donor car, if those parts are in decent shape. With no title, offer the guy a few hundred, tow it home, then assess your parts, needs, and desires, then come up with a plan. If you are considering taking it all apart, doing it "right", doing most of the disassembly and reassembly yourself (with some free helpers), are clever in acquiring parts and components, think $20K or more out of your pocket.

Is it worth it?

When the final product of your labors begins to take shape, the feeling of accomplishment begins to swell within you. Then you know it was worth it.

If you are doing this with the prospect of making money (a "profit"), you will indeed be "prospecting". It's that tough. Even with "free" labor...

There is a reason why we see so many "projects" that have been disassembled and never put back together by that same person :).

Hope that helps some.

Best,
TomK

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
I was just looking at it. after i made the post a friend told me about a grandmother that has a 63 or a 64 impala 2dr hardtop with either a 327 or a 409 not sure but he is supposed to ask if she will sell it and how much for me.

He said that it looks to have two holes in the front fenders above the flags for the engine number but he wasnt too sure of the year since hes not into the pre 65 impalas but i will know more and i doubt that guy would sell the car for less than 1200. cause he wanted 5,000 for a 55 belair with no engine, transmission rearend no suspension complet body covered in surface rust and a torn up 58 impala interior and he told me he could get 5,000 for the front frame assembly im just not going to get my hopes up on picking the vehicle up for a couple hundred considering how he over prices them. he dose have some nice 2dr hardtop impalas next time im out there ill check them out and see if i dont get the one my friend was telling me about.

M

MK IISS

a grandmother that has a 409 ? I bet she is originally from Pasadena.

chevy_belair63

Well Known Member
I said it is possible that it is. my friend said theres two perfectly round drilled holes above the flag emblem now if its a 64 which hes not sure he hasnt been around there yet but i told him what to look for to see if it is or isnt but if it is a 64 it could be a 327 cause i belive the 64 flaged emblem has 327 above it or 409. not sure which engine it has i havent seen it but if the granny would consider selling i will stop by and take a lok first hand. but it is a black on black impala and the paint looks great from what he said but what he thinks is great might look fair to me

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
If you are wanting a 409 car, have you thought about puting one in your 63:dunno You already have the car, no major restoration expenses.
Ron

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
64ss409 said:
If you are wanting a 409 car, have you thought about puting one in your 63:dunno You already have the car, no major restoration expenses.
Ron

YEH,,, but thats a super RARE COPO !!!! Ask him,,,,