Inaugural 348-409 National Convention Schedule

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
INAUGURAL 348-409 NATIONAL CONVENTION

SEPTMEBER 15 – 18, 2004

Wednesday, September 15 Registration at the Embassy Suites Hotel from 9:00AM to 5:00PM
The legendary Donnie Shaffer will have his 348-409 engine display. Lee Cromwell will have his Hilborn Fuel Injected 409 engine on display on a run stand.
No scheduled activities are planned for this day. This will be the main day to meet and greet. Wednesday night at the KCIR race track will be open for test and tune or grudge races.

Thursday, September 16 Registration at the Embassy Suites Hotel from 9:00AM to 5:00PM
Bus rides from Embassy Suites to Day Automotive for 474 stoker 409 exhibition runs on the dyno.
Possible cruise this evening..to be determined later.

Friday, September 17 Registration from 9:00 to 4:00PM at the Kansas City International Exposition Center.
Show and Shine car show at Kansas City International Exposition Center in the parking lot from 9AM to 4PM. No classes and no judging.
1962 and 1963 Z-11 car collection to be held inside the Convention Center.
Conference room for seminars and discussions starting at 9AM.
Banquet at the Kansas City International Exposition Center at 6:30PM. Activities are planned for after the banquet.

Saturday, September 18 10AM to 6PM “348-409 FALL NATIONALS” at Kansas City International Raceway Park. No classes just…. “run what you brung”.
Swap meet at the race track.

Our guest host for this convention is MR. HAYDEN PROFFITT. The replica of his 1962 409 Belair 2-door hardtop will be here also

Registration fee for this event will be $110 per person. Each participant can bring as many cars as they are able. The registration fee includes the ticket for the banquet. Additional tickets for spouse or family members for the banquet will be $25 extra. There may be a small fee associated with the bus service to the dyno sessions.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
CONVENTION INFORMATION

Thought I would take some time to explain the schedule.

Wednesday. Registration and “meet and greet”. I purposely did not plan anything for this day to conflict with everyone wanting to go meet everyone else!! We might have a possible cruise that evening but will have to wait and see. Can’t imagine any one Sonic being able to handle all of us!!! I picked the Embassy Suites hotel for it’s facilities. Since we would be gathering at some place for the first 2 days, the foyer and lobby, has tables and chairs and seating for approximately 250 persons!!! That will make it handy for all the “meet and greet” sessions. A restaurant and bar are inside also, so that should provide most of the necessities. They will let me park my “registration trailer” in the parking lot for the 2 days along with Lee Cromwell’s Hilborn fuel injected 409 engine and all Donnie Shaffer’s 348 and 409 engines and drag racing tires. Donnie will have at least 12 engines for display and 28 pairs of slicks that he will be bringing. Plus, the Embassy Suites is right across I-29 from the KCI airport for those needing to fly in for the event.

Thursday. Registration continues. Now..the good news!! My company, Classic Motor Co. and Tony Shaffer’s Day Automotive, are putting together a 474 stroker engine. Realizing that a lot of guys have not had the opportunity to see a dyno run on a 409 engine……we will be providing bus service from the Embassy Suites on Thursday, to Day Automotive for exhibition dyno runs on the stroker engine. I am anticipating 3 to 4 bus loads spread out over the day for this. Tony’s shop is small and in a residential part of town and could not handle any volume of cars for parking. So, we will provide busses for those that want to participate. A nominal fee for the bus service may be needed to those that go. It’s one thing to hear the dyno runs from inside the shop…..but something completely different from outside!!!!!!!! Tony will explain how everything is hooked up and how it works. More on the dyno engine later……..

Friday. We move the venue up the road about 2 miles to the Kansas City International Exposition Center. The parking lot there will handle approximately 700 cars. This is where we will have our “car show”. No classes…No judging….and No trophys!!! Just meet each other and enjoy their cars. We will have our “registration trailer” there also. Food will be catered outside…the usual menu of hotdogs, hamburgers and some of our famous Kansas City bar-b-que!!!!

Inside the Expo Center, will be our 35,000 square foot banquet room. In the room, will be a collection of 1962 and 1963 Z-11 cars. I don’t know if a Z-11 collection has ever been put together before, but we’re going to try. Now, we won’t have all 57 but hope to have a very good representation!!!!

Also, inside the Expo Center, we have a conference room reserved with seating for 200. This room will be for our seminars and speakers. Scheduled to appear at this time are:
1. Dave May…IgnitionMan!! Yes..”our” IgnitionMan!! Asked Dave to speak on his ignition systems and his history with Chevrolet R&D and working with Zora.
2. Tom Straley… Brisbane47. Asked Tom to speak on his experiences with his Nascar work in the 60’s.
3. Lamar Walden. Turn Lamar loose to talk about all kinds of 409 stuff!!!!
4. Hayden Proffitt. Spend an hour with Hayden asking all kinds of questions!! Biggest problem…..holding him to under 7 hours!!!! I spent 4 days with him last fall and he was still talking when I pulled out of his driveway!!!
5. Going to assemble a panel of Z-11 persons. Have them discuss their experiences and have the meeting open for questions and answers.

“The Banquet”. Some of you have expressed how boring banquets “are”. THIS AIN’T GONNA BE YOUR MAMA’S BANQUET!! It is my intent to provide an evening that will never be duplicated!! First, we are going to have some convention related items for sale after dinner. I hope this one “surprise” will give everyone a lifetime of memories every time you look at it!! I’m not going to mention that part any more!! Secondly, I have a very dear friend and customer, whom I’ve never met. But Dave and I have known each other for about 15 years. Dave called and said he would be here and wanted to help in some way. Dave has a sign company….he wanted to donate a sign to sell to help pay for expenses. I asked him what kind of sign he wanted to donate. He said it was my choice….I said “well, all the guys like neon”. Neon it is, Dave said!!! So Dave is designing and making “a one only 409 neon sign” to be auctioned off!!!!! What can I say!!! Also, I am having a “one only” 409 “surprise” made also. It will be unveiled after dinner and auctioned off also. That will probably blow out most of your freeze plugs too!! Remember the 474 dyno stroker from Day Automotive? It will be available after the banquet also!!! Details on that to follow!! So…bring a little extra spending money with you!!

Saturday. We move to Kansas City International Raceway for the 348-409 FALL NATIONALS. The track will be open from 10AM to 6PM. We will be sharing the race track with another racing series but we will all be parked together. All “display” cars will park in a certain area along with all the 348 and 409 race cars. Everyone will be able to run the track for times if they wish or just park and watch if you don’t wish to race. In trying to make this event “like the good old days”, I have asked permission for something different. Hayden Proffitt is our guest for the event. At times during the day, I have asked permission for Hayden to “flag start” some races!!!! He can’t do it all day but we will try to have him flag start some races several times during the day!! Want a picture of that for the guys back home….you and your car on the race track with Hayden???? THOUGHT SO!!!!!!! There will be no classes or anything like that. Just “run what you brung” and enjoy!!! There will be a charge to get into the race track…I don’t have any control over that. Also, we have a local sports cable TV channel with a program called “The Racing Boys”. We have asked them to be at the track today for filming and they will be taking selected interviews. Hopefully they can fill a segment of their show out here.

Also….at the race track, there will be a Swap Meet for those wanting to bring parts. If you are a registered participant, your swap meet space will be free. You will still need to pay at the gate though to get in. I’m not really expecting any tractor trailers here but a pickup and trailer is fine.

Doug Marion is scheduled to be here. As you may know, Doug is Executive Editor of Chevy Rumble magazine. He will be here to participate and to get pictures and information on future articles for the magazine. Get to meet Doug in person.

We will have a lot of convention related items and collectibles for sale also. Most all will be marked PARTICIPANT INAUGURAL 348-409 NATIONAL CONVENTION.

I have hired a video production company to film the entire convention. And Don used to have a 63 425HP Super Sport!!!! All the seminars, banquet, show cars and drag racing will be filmed as well as, selected interviews with guys and their cars. Tapes and CD’s will be available some time after the convention is over!! You can have the memories of the convention to show your grandkids!! Or you can see what you missed if you couldn’t make it!!

We are currently building a website where all the convention information will be available. Our website will be www.348-409natlconv.com. This website will have a registration form that you can download and fill out, sign, and send in. We expect it will be the first week in April before the website will be working.

And lastly, I will be contacting Dennis Gage of My Classic Car TV show when the flyer and website is complete to see if it would fit in their schedule, to attend our convention. It may be too late for their summer schedule but we will notify them.

Guess that’s it for now. This has been a lot of work and I still have a lot of work to do. BUT THIS IS ABSOLUTELY A LABOR OF LOVE!!!! Hope to see you all here in September!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
LATEST INFO

In contacting persons with Z-11 cars, I was finally able to speak this morning with Don Fezell. Don has 3 63 Z-11's...I can't remember the name of one of them, the other is the Alan Green Z-11, and his 3rd one is No.1...Don has the Old Realiable Bill Jenkins Z-11!!!!:D :D :D

When I explained that we were having the Convention and that I was trying to put together a Z-11 display, he said he would love to be here!! I said I didn't think that there had ever been a Z-11 display...he said not that he had heard. When I told him that we were having the races on Saturday, HE SAID HE WOULD RUN THE OLD REALIABLE CAR DOWN THE TRACK FOR EVERYBODY TO SEE!!!!:D :D ROY...are you still with me on this!!!!!!! Take your blood pressure medicine RIGHT NOW!!! Don said he took 2 of the cars to a car show last summer and run both down the track side by side!!! He said the crowd went nuts!!!! REALLY??????? I asked if he ran it all thru the gears and he said he runs it hard up thru third, shifts to fourth and just coasts thru the traps!!!! In my wildest imagination, I never thought he would do this!!!

So...if Don's schedule works out.....this is something else to look forward too!!!!! UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!! That was my good news this morning!!!!

SO.....if you are still wondering if you can get away to be here............don't think you want to miss all this!!!!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
OH......

Notice how the first post here announcing the convention.....was posted at 4:09???????

THAT WAS NOT AN ACCIDENT MY FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Phil, at your age, you ought to be out of gas by now.;) This sounds like a deal made in heaven. Tell Hayden to hang on. He's got to be there.
You have had to work a lot of overtime on this. I'm sure when it's all said and done, there will be a big hip hip hooray for Phil Reed. I have put on picnics for 100 people from the local area that all used to drag race together, or apart, whichever, and it was no small feat. Nothing on this scale. The only bad thing that ever happened, was the one guy we wanted to really make it hard on, telling tales about him, died 3 weeks before we had thas picnic. He cheated us, but we talked about him all the more. WE showed him. And, I'm sure, he was there anyway.
Sure hope nothing prevents me being there. I want to raise the first toast to Phil Reed. Only got to meet you once, but it was and will be memorable.

Come to think of it, I'll bet this has all been done by Candy. JUST DAWNED ON ME. Now I know. YEAH, Lights just came on. Thanks, Candy.

Even if she didn't do the work, I'll bet she has been in the shadows pushing and helping. You guys will get to meet a real nice lady, there. She has to be a saint!

Fred

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
This is just fabulous Phil, I don't have words to express what a fantastic deal you have put together. I should be coming through KC on Thur. the 11th of March and I want to look you up. We are on a fast track because my wife has a doctor's appointment Fri. But I gotta see you about this and just shake your hand. e-mail me with directions to your place of business. You are certainly the man of the hour.:bow Roy

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
track meeting today

Met out at the race track today...starting to lay everything out. Can't believe it's the 7th of March and the drag racing season has started in KC!!!

But...how's this??? Saturday at IPM...they always play the National Anthem before Eliminations start. After the National Anthem....first car down the track is Hayden Proffitt in his red 62 bubbletop!!!!! Then.....................................Don Fezell takes Old Reliable, Grumpy's Z-11 down the track for a pass!!!!!:D :D :D
Then follow up with about 75 more 348 and 409 cars!!!!!! Can it get any better than this????!!!!!

I can't wait!!!!!!!

Quickshift409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
This has got to be the greatest spectacle of all time. If I am not there just figure I am dead.
QS409

bubbletop61

Well Known Member
Kinda takes the pain away

Initially I thought the $100 was steep as a registration, but heck you can't even go see a good rock concert for $110 bucks these days, and besides I'd rather hang out with the old guys here than Jimmy Page! LOL

Seriously, I've spent the weekend rolling around with an Abcess on a tooth, and the events that Phil has come up with...well they took the pain away! My son and I are going to 'clear the tracks' and come to KC in September, and will likely bring some other guys from "the hood" This is gonna be the new improved Greatest Show on Earth, I can see the momentum for this thing
bubbling ( or would that be bubbletopping?) right now. Three cheers for the ring leader!

Phil I have seen you mention an Eastern Canadian vacation this summer. Are you going to be passing through Montreal en route to Nova Scotia. If so I would be happy to be your tour guide here so you can see Montreal as a local, even if it's just for an afternoon or an evening.

Thanks again for all the work on this Super Meet
BBTP61

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Count me in!

Thought about this all weekend Phil. you sure came up with some great stuff! I wasn't around in the 60s but this gives me a second chance!:D THis will give me motivation to get the new garage done and have time left over to get the 55 on the road AND spend enough time with the family so that they are sick of me by September. I can hear my wife now. "Go down tuesday so your there for the whole thing. Don't worry about us. Go Go.":p :D Thanks a bunch Phil and all who are involved! NUT

63z11

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Phil!!!!!!

Wow! I have been reading the info over and over. Every time I get to the part about the old reliable car I forget everything else. I would make the trip and spend 100.00 just for that. Great job on the line up Phil. Talk about motivation to finish the cars!
:cheers

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Phil, As soon as you get a poster let us know,,,,,,
I have three stalls at the Portland Swap Meet the first weekend in April and plan on having my car there as an ad and info site for the convention and this site.
A poster would be ideal to hang from my open hood !

If the posters won`t be ready intime maybe a printable copy can be sent to me and I`ll have one printed from that...

TIME TO SPREAD THE WORD !!!

I will also do the same at the cruz-ins all summer,,,,

I have already heard from other `09 owners in my area and several have shown interest in going,,,,,
I`m hoping me and Garbageman can caravan with a few other "W" owners to KC !!!

What a sight and how much fun that could be to have multiple cars meeting along the way to caravan to the Holy City,,,,
I bow to the east every morning,,,,, heeee heeee ,,,dq

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Bow is bad thing!

If you lived in NE Ohio you wouldn't be bowing at this time of the year, as soon as you bent over a Robin would be trying to build a nest up your ***!
:eek:

bubbletop61

Well Known Member
Bad Bowing

You guys in Ohio are Lucky on two counts...It's still winter here. and we have to watch out for the Polar Bears!

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
ROBINS

Ray, that should have been in the jokes section. Read that to the family, we all are wiping tears. The robins are here, too. If it sits still for very long, there will be a nest on or in it!

Fred

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Almost hit 70* here today !!!!!

So that sharp pain is a robin ???? Last night I passed gas and a few feathers went flying !!!! Heeee heeee