Inaugural 348-409 National Convention Schedule

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The Good News Just Keeps Comin'!!!!!!

I received a phone call from Jerry Walsh, Purceville, VA last Thursday. He said he and his son Ken will be here with bells on!!!!! To those of you on the East Coast, you might know son Ken's white 63 Impala "Mr. 409". It has the left front tire about 4 foot off the ground when he leaves the line!!!!! Anyway, Jerry is bringing 3 cars!!! The white 63 AND ANOTHER 62 BUBBLETOP WITH A Z-11!!!!!! :D :D :D That makes 5 1962's now that are going to be here!!!!!! WHAT CAN I SAY!!! IT JUST WON'T STOP!!!! We don't want it too anyway!!

Jerry is going to call Steve "Wully Bully" and Allen "bluescreamer"....he knows all of them......GOIN' TO PUT THE PRESSURE ON THEM TO BE HERE!!!!!! Oh....Jerry races the Z-11!!! Said he would make several passes with it on Saturday!!!! Anybody want to grudge race against a Z-11????!!!! I am sending a letter to Dennis Gage, My Classic Car, tomorrow....I stated that we should have more dedicated 409 race cars here at one time than any track did in 62 or 63!!!!!

Now...other business. I went up to the Embassy Suites this afternoon to see what the problem is. It might be the National 800 number. Those people aren't in tune with what's happening here. Ron might be right...the block of 20 on the 18th might be full. To get your reservation....CALL THE EMBASSY DIRECT AT 816-891-7788 AND ASK FOR JAMIE IN RESERVATIONS. YOU HAVE TO TELL THEM YOU ARE WITH THE 348-409 NATIONAL CONVENTION TO GET THE RATE. Even if the blocks are full on the 15th and 18th, she will get you rooms. It would be best to call them direct instead of going thru the national reservation service.

Garbageman...I'll look into KOA's. I don't personally know of any but I'll do some looking as I know there will be several motorhomes here.

Guess that's it for now..........

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
With me that would make three !!!! Come on guys can you catch us Oregon guys !!! Three car caravan !!!!! :D

BTW,,,,,, Thanks Phil !! Got the Flyers today !!!!,,,,dq :bow

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've been so busy that everything important has slipped by and I didn't even get to reading this whole thread until today. Got nervous that there might not be any rooms left and had visions of being 30 miles away all by myself at the "Bust Into Your Trailer Motel". Called Jamie like Phil suggested and got the room for all four nights at the $99 rate. Whew.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I`ll share the maids closet if ya can`t get a room ! :D
But I do snore, f*rt, and burp !!! AND my feet stink !!! heeeee heeee

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Stink control!

dq409 said:
I`ll share the maids closet if ya can`t get a room ! :D
But I do snore, f*rt, and burp !!! AND my feet stink !!! heeeee heeee

DQ, I'm going to sneak up to your little room and duct tape you in every night!
:D

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
fatride said:
DQ, I'm going to sneak up to your little room and duct tape you in every night!
:D

:D LMSOAO !!!! heeeeeeee heeeeeee :D just make sure there`s a maid in there with me !!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
updates!!!

To all of you who requested flyers, they were all sent out last week. You should have them by now. If anybody would like flyers to pass out at the swap meets or cruises or whatever, drop me an email. I can send you some. We have been thru about 2000 flyers so far and I'm having another 2000 printed this week.

This Z-11 collection just keeps getting better!!! Finally was able to speak with Dennis McClendon last Friday. HE IS BRINGING 3 62 409's AND 2 HAVE Z-11 ENGINES!!!! You might have seen Denny's black & silver 62 Impala with the 409 and Algon fuel injection. It's been in many magazines. Then Denny has a complete 62 Belair A/FX car that will be here. Then...his race car...said the chassis was certified last week for 7.50's!!!!!!!!!!! :deal :deal :deal That car has a Lamar Walden aluminum Z-11!!!! Looks like now there will be 8 1962's here....1 Biscayne and 7 bubbletops and 5 of the bubbletops will have aluminum front ends!!!!!!!! Was visiting with Jody Anderson this morning.....he said there never has been a collection of Z-11 cars like this anywhere!!!!!!

Speaking of Jody.....many of you here know him....he is bringing his 64 Police car and his 64 409 4-speed station wagon!!!! Said there will be quite a few coming down from the Minneapolis area. ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!

As of yesterday.....have 54 reservations at the Embassy Suites. Keep in mind, they will only give us 75 rooms so if you haven't made your reservation yet....and want to stay at the host hotel......time is running short on rooms. They had 7 reservations over the weekend.

That's all for now!!!

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
WOW! This just keeps getting better! I just booked a room with no problem using the number suggested. "CALL THE EMBASSY DIRECT AT 816-891-7788 AND ASK FOR JAMIE IN RESERVATIONS. YOU HAVE TO TELL THEM YOU ARE WITH THE 348-409 NATIONAL CONVENTION TO GET THE RATE." Now I've got to get going and get my car done!

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Convention

Hey Phil
We just booked at the Embassy Suites so we will be there.
Hoping to bring the 61 348.
Also working on some other 348-409 lovers and their cars.

Phil, I'll send you an email requesting some flyers I will pass out at various cruises.

Looking forward to this guys........see you in September

BJ

countdown 150

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Phil, Is there a way to find out who has reserved a room then contact them and find out how many cars are coming?
Or maybe have the hotel (right! surething !) ask when they reserve?
I know it sounds like work but it would be fun to know how many cars are coming !!
Good advertising numbers stuff too!!,,, dq

Shoot,,, even if say only ,,, and I mean "only" 100 car show up,,,, THAT would be outragous !!!

Can you imagine what that would look like !!!

How about a parade through town ??? Huhhhh,,, pretty please,,,,dq

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
flyers!!

The flyers are off to you this morning BJ!!!! Thanks for asking to help!!

DQ.....now that would be a nightmare to try to track!!!!! The hotel obviously has a list of reservations but they won't ask who's bring what!!!! We already have over a 100 cars without even trying!!!!

As for a parade...the last time something like that was attempted was last summer in Milwaukee.......and they had a 100 years to plan for it!!!! :D :D :D

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Phil Reed said:
As for a parade...the last time something like that was attempted was last summer in Milwaukee.......and they had a 100 years to plan for it!!!! :D :D :D

Now lets see,,,, Over 100 cars,,, big parking lot,,,,,,

Line them up,,,, point down the street,,,,,,, WE HAVE A PARADE !!!!

Here all you do is go to city hall and get the permit !! Have the parade a,d then drink brewskis !! :cheers

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We can work out a time to be ready to cruise through town together, line up and do it. If we go for a permit, we'll get all bound up in city government which means explaining, begging, money and there's always someone like Mr. Horse on Ren and Stimpy - "Hmmmm, I don't like it!" and we're sunk. As they say, "Better to plead for forgiveness than ask for permission." What's a hundred or so cars more or less ambling down main street on a Saturday night?

Phil - Sounds like there are going to be lots of trailers. Can their lots handle that?

'63 Aluminum fenders

Hello All,
I'm new to this forum and would like to attend the convention. I have been commissioned to build a set of aluminum fenders for a '63, which we hope to have finished in time. I have one fender near completion now and the other will be started very soon. Hope to see you folks there.

I'll try posting a picture of the fender.
Let's see if this works!!

616side_view_near_completion.jpg

Randy Ferguson
Metalshaping & Kustom Paint

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
WOW! Nice work Randy! :beerbang I can't even imagine the amount of work and craftsmanship that would go into building aluminum fenders. :dunno It looks like the kind of skills that can't be learned in a single lifetime. :D I hope you get them done in time for Sept. If you do and the car makes it there it shouldn't be hard to spot because I bet it'll have signs saying "DON'T LEAN ON THE FENDERS" Thanks for posting that and welcome to the site.

tmracing62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Randy -

That looks really good. What do you mean by commissioned? Is this a side line to your job or part of it? I think a few of us might be interested in learning more about time and cost and availability.

Welcome aboard.

- Michael

Hi Micheal,
What I mean by that is that I was given the authority to carry out the task as I see fit, for a price! Simply stated, I was hired to build the fenders!!
I'm a painter in a collision shop, and own my own metalshaping/custom paint shop. I'm trying to get out of the collision shop so I can devote more time to doing what interests me most. Thanks for the compliments, guys.
I can build as many as you want. It takes a great deal of time to make these, ao they're not cheap. Cost is $5,500 per set. I'll be making the hood and bumpers sometime in the near future too

Randy