Indy & Bowling Green

bluescreamer

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Got back monday from 13 days of travel. Left Wed June 7th for Indy's GoodGuys show and drags. Got there on Thrusday and parked and tech-in.
Fri had Test & tune. Off the trailer went 10.70 with 6 degrees of timing out of motor. Not quick enough for a 10.50 index. Put timing back in and made a longer accelerator rod and did a test, went 11.39 on second run. on third run split the difference on the lenght of rod and ran a 11.010. close enough for the 11.000 index.
Saturday morning the rain arrived sat around all day until canceled for the day. Sunday morning looked good until about 9:00 them the sky opened up. and it only got worse. Final canceled the events for the weekend. Goodguys only got one race in this year because of rain.

Off to Bowling Green on Monday, on Tuesday went to the Corvette plant for a tour. On Wed took trailer out to track with the rest of the guys from the MANDRA group, We had 18 cars at Bowling Green for the NHRA 4th annual Hotrod Reunion.
In the NSS group there where 8 409 cars there. Fred, Denny, Ray, Steve, Carl, Kenny, Lon and Myself. out of 50 NSS cars, from a quick 9.85 for Carl to
Lon,s 12.00 61 Impala. Before we could 1st round in on Sat. it rained and even thou they tried to dry the track it was a lost cause. So thinks got moved to Sunday.
There where still 5 409's still in the running after first round of elimination on Sunday. Then the skys open up with heavy thunder storms, Canceling the event.
I had to run a C/FX car in elin. indexed at 9.75. His reaction time was .075 to my .071. bluescreamer ran a 11.041 to his 9.729 break out.
Don't know what the other guys ran on there races they will have to fill in.
Two race weekends and both event got rained out. Not a good average.

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bowling Green

Allen did a good job on the Bowling Green race. Rain, rain, and more rain. Won my round against a Thunderbolt clone. That was as far as we got. Rain. Left the track about 4:00 PM and got fuel in Bowling Green. Got on I-65 at the 28 mile marker about 4:30PM. Bob Walla was about 2 miles ahead of me. Denny Ford and a bunch were about 2 miles behind. Bob called me on the cell phone and said the traffic was stopped at the 67 mile marker. Little did we know what was in store. A friend of mine was in his truck behind me. He saw his brother go south on 65 and called him. By this time, 3 hours had elapsed, and we had gone maybe 20 miles. His brother told him there was an accident at the 91 mile marker. That was 5 miles ahead. Took another 1-1 1/2 hours to get to it. Think we went 25 miles in about 4 1/2 hours or more. People were running for the fence and the bushes along the road. Men and women. Had figured on being home at 10:00 PM. Was after 1:30 AM when we got home. After we got past the 91 mile marker it was smooth sailing. Junior's brother had called again and said traffic was stopped more than 30 miles behind us.What a night mare. I don't think I was ever in a traffic jam that long, before.
The deal at Bowling Green was a lot of fun. Even with the rain. Got to sit around and talk to a lot of people. We had a really good group of people all around us. I was pitted with Denny Ford and Bo Martin. Listening to Bo was good enough. Was also next to Ray Lehberger. There was Allen George, the Wully Bully team, and a bunch of others. We had some good times just talking. The rain didn't hurt the fun. We didn't let it. I think everyone had a good time. Didn't get to run as much as we wanted. Did save fuel and some parts!!!!!!!!!!
Had trouble on the way down to Bowling Green, but that's another story. The reunion is a fantastic event. There are more cars there than you could imagine. Show cars, swap meet area. And vendors area. Really something to see. I'll sure go back next year, rain or no rain. Just being with a good bunch of friends is worth the price.

Fred

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
typing

Had to tell this. I typed about the same post last night. Took about 25 minutes to type it. Was almost done, and my hand hit some key, still don't know which one, and it erased the whole darned post. Tried every thing I could think of to get it back. Nothing worked. Talk about MAD. Shut the darned computer off and went to bed. I'm going to have to try to find which key did that, and REMOVE it!!!!!!!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Fred, When you figure it out, be sure and let me know. Ive done that several times. It is never the one sentence post, it always is a long one. :doh

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Sounds like everybody had a good time despite the rain. I'm glad to hear the 409's put on a good show. I'd really like to try and make it there next year.:beerbang
By the way, we've started working on our homemade tunnel ram again. I hope to have it done and installed in about a week or two. I'll post pictures soon and let you guys know how much difference it makes as soon as we get it to the drag strip.:deal

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
computers

Ronnie Russell said:
Fred, When you figure it out, be sure and let me know. Ive done that several times. It is never the one sentence post, it always is a long one. :doh

Ronnie, believe me, when I find out, I'll tell everyone!!!!!!!!!!! It has to be two keys. Control and something else. My left hand lays over the control key. Has to be something to do with that. Must lay my hand on another key at the same time. I know the history column popped up. Other than that, I don't know. And, you are right. It's always a post that took a long time and a lot of thought. Makes you want to just shove your fist right through the screen. I know i sat here and screamed NO at it. Didn't help, though. Damned computers are female. Never know what they are going to do next. Or why.:dunno

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
CTRL-x

Fred:

This happens all the time. You lean on some key, and poof! you lose all your text :(

If you are familiar with writing tools such as Microsoft Word, you know that you can "cut" and "paste" blocks of text using those tools. First you "block" the text to be modified, then you perform the task (cut or paste, etc.). Generally you click on some tab that says "cut" or whatever. There is actually a pair of keystrokes that accomplish the same task, and guess what, it involves the use of the CONTROL key!

If you accidentally block some text (say all that long winded important stuff you wanted to share) and you accidentally hit the CTRL and the "x" at the same time, you "cut" the text from the screen and store it in (computer) memory. So if you do this, try hitting the CTRL key and the "v" at the same time, as this manually "pastes" that text right back where your cursor is. I have ten thumbs and I do this all the time.... Maybe you do as well?

Just a thought. Next time we're together at some race track and it's raining I'll show you a few tricks on the keyboard :).

Cheers!
TomK

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
" The practical approach" Tom , I think you are correct. There is a key at the bottom left of this keyboard that says----ctrl .... Never have used it for anything, so maybe I can use a pair of Channel-locks to twist it off. :brow

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
models916 said:
Do not hit the delete key.

I have done the same thing so many times I have a shinny bald spot on my head from pulling out my hair !:cuss

And ,,, NO I never hit the delete key !!:evil

If I know I am writing a long involved post I will open a new email and periodically
cut and paste the post there until it is completed and ready to post.
If it does go poof at least you can start over from the last cut and paste,,

There is nothing more frustrating then spending all those brain cells writing out a long post and having it POOF off into cyber land somewhere,,,

You can never rewrite the post as good as the first lost writing,,,,

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yeah , thats easy for you to say, dq. You are computer literate. The only thing I know about " cut and paste " is we used to do that in first grade art class. Yes, we had paste back then. :roll

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ronnie Russell said:
Yeah , thats easy for you to say, dq. You are computer literate. The only thing I know about " cut and paste " is we used to do that in first grade art class. Yes, we had paste back then. :roll

:roll :roll Well I don`t know about that ,,,, I do know how to cut and paste, post pictures and my faverit is noing how ta use the speling chekr,,,:D